Shelving in basement stairwell

Reaction score
I've been looking at the stairwell to my basement for some time now trying to figure out how best to utilize the wasted space. I can do simple shelving, but it would require a ladder to access. I don't mind this so much for myself, but with my wife in mind I would rather something easier and obviously safer.

I have several ideas in my head, but the idea that keeps coming to mind is some sort of shelving on some sort of vertical rail system that bookcase style shelving would ride on. Then either through a counterweight or other system the shelves could easily be pulled down/pushed back up.

I know this is doable because I've seen this type of storage used in other ways, but not sure if it's even worth the effort to design and build something like this.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
I know this is doable because I've seen this type of storage used in other ways, but not sure if it's even worth the effort to design and build something like this.
That is the question and one you need to decide for yourself. What is your time worth. Are you interested in taking on the project and how badly do you need the storage?

Is this under the stairwell that you are referring to?

Ask a Question