Sheer hard graft.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There's no let up here with work. I've been attacking the huge stump/root ball seen in post #1. I never seem to have a full day to myself; over the last couple of days I've only managed short afternoon sessions up the mountain but this morning I'd had enough. Just after 9 o'clock I was up the mountain in the freezing conditions all the cars were white over with frost but I no longer cared; I wrapped up wearing my big heavy site coat and started to carry all the tools up there including running out the 40m extension lead.

I'd already destroyed the chainsaw chain and the chainsaw developed a tinny rattle also one of the rubber handle securing bushes sheared so the saw is now in bits on the bench; the rattle was elusive to locate but with the saw in bits it was a detached baffle plate within the silencer. I now took up 5' long wrecking bar; spade; cold chisels; lump hammer; sledge hammer; short wrecking bar; hand trowel and sabre saw with lots of wood cutting blades.

The root ball is embedded with many stones and even an half brick; the stones small and large packed tightly in with compacted soil; I was on a mission and this time nothing was going to stop me. I had checked the forecast yesterday for today and with 5% rain I though I was OK; no sooner had I run the cable out it started to rain so I wrapped the extension sockets in a plastic bin bag; I didn't even care if it snowed I was on the job. With the soil turning to mud at least the frost let go although it still felt bitterly cold I got stuck in.

Bang on midday job done; I couldn't separate the main root ball so I nervously rolled it down the garden where by now everything was slippery; I'd driven in four cold chisels to full depth using the sledge hammer; they are still embedded this root ball won't give up easily but at least it's all now down the garden near the hut awaiting a further attack from me when the weather is more amenable; it's raining and a black hole so everything is normal; I removed my waterproof leggings and swapped my wellies for shoes at the hut after I'd dumped all the wet kit into the hut; I hate treating my kit like this but nothing is easy living here and by now I was totally worn out. I forgot to take the camera up with me and there was no way I wanted to traipse all the way back down creating a mud trail to collect it.

3 hours of hard graft with just a short break for a quick mug of welcome tea; I still wonder what being retired is meant to be; 20 years into full retirement and still no let up; I still dream of freedom in the workshop but I can dream on; the root ball is still laughing at me needing breaking up because no way could I ever lift it to load it into the car; the chainsaw needs work and on top of this lot other more pressing jobs keep tormenting me; I'm still smiling and I'm keeping fit and active so I'm not complaining.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I would have been tempted to contact a demolition firm and get them to use Semtex on it while it was still up the mountain. That reminds me of many years ago when the firm I was at wanted an old goliath crane removing. It had been assembled by allowing the cross member to 'slip' onto the legs which had a taper. They had jammed (as designed) and corrosion made sure they stayed there. Our chief engineer had once served in a 'special' regiment in the army, and so he contacted their HQ and offered them a practice installation for demolition training. Sure enough, they duly arrived in olive green vehicles with flashing blue lights. Shaped copper cutting charges were carefully placed and we were all warned to stand well back. It wasn't so much as an explosion, but more of a loud sharp crack and seconds later, there was a neat pile of heavy steel waiting to be removed. I should add that all of those involved in the 'exhibition' wore black fatigues and balaclavas, even when abseiling around the crane to secure the charges.

We never received an invoice for the work either.

The crane in question ran on rail tracks, had a span of 30m and was 15m under the hook, labelled as good for 25 tons lift.

An exciting day that took them way under an hour to complete before they dashed off again with blue lights flashing.

ColinA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Colin for your interesting story; I'd have loved to blow the stump out of the ground let alone blow it up; it's been terrifically hard graft just sorting this one stump of many; it took a week to get it out and drag it across the garden and still not finished with it but I'm winning. I've enjoyed a good hot soak in the bath so my bones aren't aching as much.

I could kick myself because during digging this stump out a huge grab wagon passed by on the lane a few times and it would have been worth a few quid to have it lifted out but our garden being so steep and the lane four feet higher I was afraid of the dry stone wall collapsing causing even more work; much better living here to do everything the hard way; I'm used to it. I've still got to get it all down to the driveway which will be fun.

The only time I've come into contact with explosives was down a deep coal mine; I'll never forget the first "fire in the hole" standing in the main tunnel at the bottom of the gate we were erecting conveyor in; I expected a loud bang but all it was a muted thud but the shrapnel sure came down the gate to bounce off the wall in front of me followed by a black dense cloud; the shock wave could be felt in the confined tunnel; the deputy always tested for gas first. Exciting times for a very young apprentice; the pit changed my life forever and changed it for the better.

We've both seen a bit of life.

Kind regards, Colin W.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Top of mountain now tidy at last; this morning it's another wet black hole with everything soaking wet outside but not yet raining which is a bonus. As usual I couldn't make a straight start in the garden; firstly I had to repair our bathroom fan heater; the pull cord had broken. With the heater sorted next job was to clean and dry the messed up 40' extension lead I'd used yesterday in the miserable rain and what a job it is to untangle such a length of cable.

At last back to the plot and climb my way up the mountain dragging a sack cart behind me; footing was poor and slippy but I've finally brought all the remaining stumps down to the hut in readiness for more cutting to make them small enough for me to lift; I'm a ten stone 6' tall weakling so I have to work harder. I raked the area removing the remaining debris so after only 3 years our gardens are looking very nice indeed; whilst raking a middle aged couple stopped and complimented me on the wild flower meadow display they had seen whilst it was in full bloom; I thanked them and told them to watch again next springtime; I've already got the wildflower seeds heading my way. It's been very pleasant indeed all during this summer with so many walkers along the lane stopping to admire the meadow and a number even taking pictures; with the huge hedge now removed it's opened up the entire top of the mountain unlike last year when the meadow was hidden from the lane.

Back down to the bungalow I thought I'll pop up and take a few pictures so back up the mountain; I switched on the camera "battery exhausted" If I wasn't so stubborn I could become really depressed with all this bad luck which never ever lets up but I can moan about it and I'm still here enjoying hard graft as usual. The camera battery is now on charge so with luck I'll manage to take a few pictures if I can find my way back up there it's now so dark at 10:33 am.

Kind regards, Colin W.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't too impressed with Roundup
Try Pistol - works very well, and doesn't poison the ground. Says he who's still got some Sodium Chlorate "just in case"...

I tried using Roundup stump killer on a big hawthorn stump and a smaller holly stump but both these have been putting on new growth;
I knew a guy once who had a property in Scotland, with a serious mature rhododendron problem. He got a flamethrower.

I've not yet tried dynamite but I'm feeling tempted?
Ha! - hadn't seen that when I posted earlier.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dislike using any chemicals
I'd happily use Agent Orange if it would put a stop to all the )%I*^#?"% self-seeding alder trees that constantly appear and grow in my garden.

And I too have a big old laurel to get rid of - sounds like that will be deep joy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

And dynamite. Don't forget that as a way to remove stumps. :D

I'd keep very quiet about that if I were you. 99.99% certain it breaks environmental legislation.
Many thanks for your replies He who knows. Like you I live in the UK where to get out of bed is sure to break some law or other.

I think fertilizer can be used as explosive?

If your laurels are over 40 years old like ours you'll definitely suffer; I'd love to own a mini digger but it would need a crane just to get it into the garden then ground anchors to prevent it heading to the valley bottom.

Just getting up the garden and not sliding and slipping around in the wet would be a good start; our climate is dire.

Thanks for the "Pistol" tip; I'd never heard of it but early next year I'll definitely buy 1L.

https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/pistol-herbicide-1l.html

Kind regards, Colin W.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Another day of hard graft; I've just knocked off leaving the biggest root ball still to break up but I've worked myself to a standstill and had enough for today.

Kind regards, Colin W.

Stump clearing_0001.JPG

Stumps/root balls by the hut.

Stump clearing_0002.JPG

What a wet mess to play with; retirement is more pain than pleasure.

Stump clearing_0003.JPG

I can't believe I've now got the top of the mountain clear at last; this corner had all the stumps and debris but now its tidy ready for next springtime when I broadcast wildflower seeds once again. What a huge relief and maybe I will eventually settle in the workshop without big jobs hanging over me,

Stump clearing_0004.JPG

A pile ready for the tip.

Stump clearing_0005.JPG

The last and biggest root ball; it's got four wedges driven well into it but it's not going to make my life any easier so I'll do it the hard way as usual; when this is at the tip I'll heave a sigh of relief; it's been incredibly hard work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If your laurels are over 40 years old like ours you'll definitely suffer;
I'm sure they are - they/it were here when we moved in 33 years ago. Never bothered to do anything about it, as it wasn't a problem. It grows under a mature oak tree, so has never grown rampant, it's been easy enough to lop back any branches which came out too far, and provides welcome evergreen cover at the end of the garden.

But now we have plans for a change in layout which will mean more use of the end, so the laurel, a large holly, and a motley group of plum tree suckers will need to go.

I'm not as energetic as you, so I won't be doing much grafting myself. I plan to "Pistol-whip" it early next year, on a still day, when there's not much else around to catch any overspray. I doubt it will kill it but it might weaken it.

Then cut back as much as I can to improve access, and pay someone with a mini-digger to uproot it, as I'm going to have someone on site with one anyway to do a slab for a garden building.

I should probably get some expert advice on whether there could be a problem with the roots being entangled with those of the oak tree.

Thanks for the "Pistol" tip; I'd never heard of it but early next year I'll definitely buy 1L.
You might have to cast your mind back to that time ages ago when you had a temporary job where you were trained to use herbicides like that, and sign a declaration.

Utter farce - you can buy the same stuff already diluted in garden centres, at what works out to be a hugely more expensive price. The only training you need to use Pistol safely is to be able to read the instructions on how to dilute it, not pour it into rivers or ponds, and how you probably shouldn't drink it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your reply He who knows. We've been here 33 years and it was a former owner who had the gardens landscaped with lots of planting but unfortunately they went mad planting so many cherry laurels which are now proving very troublesome. We've still got plenty of laurels but 3 years ago when I finally got around to the gardens the huge laurels just to the bungalow rear I lowered to 3' tall; they were as tall as the mature oak tree at least I can now talk to them without peering unto the sky; now they are low I keep on top of them; they put lots of growth on if left unchecked.

If your laurel is near the oak then I'd guess there would be interlocking of roots but using a mini digger would soon show this up. Mini diggers are brilliant bits of kit and I'd love to buy one but it would be useless here on the steep valley site hence I always do things the hard way. A mature holly tree too is a pain to get out especially by hand; I've removed lots of stumps including holly; we don't do small jobs here; everything is hard graft; here's the big holly stump right on the boundary with access denied from next door so it was still dug out just taking longer; I had to take down part of a low retaining wall in order to attack the roots;

_002Holly stump.JPG

I tried unsuccessfully to split the trunk to remove it in sections but it didn't want to play; just one of many stumps I've removed.

When you get the mini digger in it might pay to look around for other work it could do whilst on site; good luck.

I did the miserable trip to the tip with a car full of stumps returning home by 11 o'clock so I'm delighted to see the back of them; just one last big difficult stump to break into sections I can lift but not until I can get outside without a soaking.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a gruelling day fighting the remains of the huge stump working like mad but making little progress; it's like a solid intertwined ball with no way in and although I've managed to reduce its size it's still far too heavy to lift.

It killed my chainsaw and now my sabre saw is on its last legs also it's killed the 5 sabre saw wood blades; there are so many stones embedded in it; I think I've created a clear run for the saw having removed all the soil and stones but every time there are still more hidden stones.

This morning in the perishing cold I thought I'd be smart and show it who was boss but it defeated my efforts again; I had sharpened an SDS chisel like a wood chisel and went at it with my big SDS drill in chisel mode thinking if it now hits a stone I don't care; it hardly scratched the wood which was a real disappointment; I ended up driving a total of 8 cold chisels into it but still it refused to split; I've used lump hammer and sledge hammer; short wrecking bar long wrecking bar but it's still laughing at me; by 3:30 it was too dark to carry on and once again I'd worked myself to a standstill. Tomorrow is forecast cold again but at least it didn't rain today and with all the strenuous work I felt quite warm until later this afternoon when it really did turn chilly.

Kind regards, Colin W.

Chain saw_0001.JPG

I like to take care of my kit but this stump is testing my kit and also fully testing me; it killed the blade in no time at all due to hidden bedded stones; the handle unit suddenly became loose and it developed a tinny rattle;

Chain saw_0002.JPG

I've owned and used this chainsaw for years it being a Timberwolf and it owes me nothing however it's still a very good saw so I'll do all the necessary repairs replacing the rubber mounting bushes and whilst it's in bits give it a birthday it richly deserves some TLC.

Chain saw_0003.JPG

This bit of metal took a lot of locating; it's a detached baffle plate from inside the silencer hence the source of the tinny noise; it's not going back in because an extra bit of noise won't trouble me; I wear ear protection.

This stump though gets smaller each time I attack it but when I knocked off today it still had cold chisels driven full depth into it. Tomorrow I'll have a go at sharpening the sabre saw blades although I have some due via eBay; I've also got a "Grenade log splitter" on its way; my ambition is to get rid of this stubborn stump before Christmas; it's going to be interesting finding out if this stump is more stubborn than I am; it's war.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Cold again with more rain forecast so I've had enough of this dire climate and this wayward stump; the stump is now in the workshop where I can break it up in peace without being frozen or rained on; the lumps I removed from it yesterday are now down to the driveway ready for taking to the tip; I rolled the stump down the steep pathway and steps then used a sack cart to finally get it down to the workshop. The war continues though because I still need to at least break this stump into halves but it's got a lot of my cold chisels embedded in it. I've tidied up and even removed the oak leaves from the patio; I'm on a roll and it's only 10:16 am so after a well earned mug of tea I'm wandering down to the workshop for more fun.

Anyone considering planting cherry laurels please note the trouble these can cause in later years; ours have proved to be a nightmare not only keeping them trimmed but extremely hard graft to remove them.

Kind regards, Colin W.

Stump Dec02 2020_0001.JPG

How does anyone untangle this stump; it's also got lots of embedded soil and stones so trying to cut it immediately kills blades.

Stump Dec02 2020_0002.JPG

This stump doesn't play fair; here are seen four of the eight cold chisels driven in to try to split it but it just laughs at me; it's still too heavy for me to lift into the car and not only do I still need to split it I need to retrieve my cold chisels. Oh um just another normal day in retirement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About the only thing I can think to try would be heat - do you have, or know anybody with, a gas welder? Might loosen the chisels enough to get them out. Might also be possible to burn chunks of the stump off - I doubt you have to worry about the whole thing going up....

Failing that, I find a useful principle for situations like this is to "invert the cost", and consider it as if it was an earning opportunity.

How much will new chisels cost?. Ask yourself, if someone asked you to split that stump, and offered you that sum as payment, would you take the job or invite them to mount their velocipede?

I know it's galling to turn good tools into consumables, but maybe just replace them and move on? It's not as if you're short of jobs.

Doesn't help though with the problem of splitting the stump. If you got a helper could the two of you manhandle it into the car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your useful suggestions He who knows; it's much appreciated. :)

I had considered many options including letting the chisels go with the stump also burning the stump but considering how much grief this hedge has given me over many weeks and this huge remaining stump has tormented me for the last four days it's now disposed of at the tip and I still have the chisels; I dug in this morning determined not to be beaten at this late stage.

I set about the stump with a vengeance hacking more lumps from it with the sabre saw and using things like a screwdriver to pry out lots of soil and many stones until I could just lift it but the chisels were still fully driven in; I had been giving this a lot of thought so I tried out an idea I had dreamt up to remove the chisels; I could try to drill down the sides of each chisel so tried the idea using a 22mm spade bit and wow it worked a treat; I drilled around each chisel to create clearance and to release the pressure then simple knocked the chisel around using the hammer to break it free; it worked a treat taking little time but now I was under pressure because the local tip closed at 4 o'clock; I loaded the car with the lumps already broken off then took a deep breath and managed to lift the remaining big lump into the car and shoot off to the tip arriving at 3:15 finally dumping it.

So after three very hard years of grafting in the gardens all the hard heavy work I hope is behind me at last and next year I can relax and enjoy pottering around sowing the meadow etc.

Tomorrow is tidy up day in the workshop and give my tools much needed TLC; just because I had gone to all the trouble getting the stump down to the workshop the sun came out and it didn't rain but then this is so typical of my bad luck; I'm delighted though to be clear of the hedge and can stop dreaming of getting into the workshop but actually now get into the workshop and enjoy the imminent winter; I don't owe any favours having done the job myself which is how I like to work.

Thanks everyone for taking interest and for your welcome replies and suggestions; life is good and I'm about to enjoy it after all I've only been retired 20 years this month and time I had a bit of time to myself; I've got lots of projects lined up and three are woodturning; metal melting and inductance heating; my hobbies are many and varied.

I watched YouTube videos showing a microwave oven transformer being used to melt metal and also induction heating to heat metal; I've already got a commercial 1,950W transformer and added two coils of very heavy welding cable to give an output of 975 amps but I'll be experimenting at controlling the amps using a motor speed controller which I've never seen done; I've got the speed controller and also an induction heater I bought from China so workshop here I come.

Kind regards, Colin W.

Please don't follow my lead; I'm very familiar with transformers and to get it wrong could prove lethal. I want to experiment brazing TC tips onto tooling using the transformer.

Here's induction heating. My plan is if I'm successful is to design and build an industrial sized induction heater for a very good friend who owns a business and needs to anneal lots of stainless steel components; at last I can enjoy workshop time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks He who knows for adding the interesting video. I wouldn't encourage any novice to play around with electricity at mains potential it could be the last thing they ever do.

Over the years I've wound many transformers from tiny vintage radio output transformers up to the 75kg transformer I wound whilst installing my 3 phase into the workshop.

It's interesting to see this guy using a "Variac" to control input; I sold both my Variacs when I stopped restoring vintage radio but I bought the motor speed controller to experiment with; I can't easily change the amps but I can easily change the voltage; amps x volts = Watts;

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/electric/Amp_to_Watt.html

The microwave big transformer is rated at 1,950W at 240V supply as bought. I've already removed the secondary winding and added two turns of heavy welding cable as new secondary winding this alone I hope will bring down the amps to 975A but if I added more turns then the amps would further reduce; the cable I'm initially using is around 500A which should be plenty for the brazing I want to play around with. I won't go into lots of proposed detail because many novices view forums and I've no intention of killing anyone so this is just for a bit of interest.

Kind regards, Colin W.

Transformers_0005.JPG

Open circuit primary winding on a vintage radio output transformer; the black dot shows where it burnt out.

Transformers_0006.JPG

I made many new formers one shown here made of Whale Tufnol.

Transformers_0001..JPG

Here's the completed transformer. Transformer winding is very interesting to do.

Winding a small transformer. (2).JPG

Here's the AVO Douglas manual winder I wound many coils on; I also owned two expensive German Aumann coil winders all now sold due to change of hobbies.

Transformers_0002.JPG

Here's the largest transformer I ever wound weighing 75kg seen on test. It supplied my 3 phase 415V into the workshop. Highly dangerous thing to play around with; I sold it to a friend who is an ex mining electrician knowing it won't kill him.

Transformers_0003.JPG

Sorry about picture quality. Using a scaffolding plank to get it to it's safe location in the workshop; this alone was dangerous given its weight.

Transformers_0004.JPG

3 phase transformer fully installed ready to connect to the machines. I sold all my big industrial rated machines a few years ago and also this transformer all would be a liability to my wife who doesn't understand them should I die. I've still got lots of machines but on a smaller scale.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
75kg - that's heavy. I've got a welder which is mostly transformer, plus a bit of case and oil - from memory thats about 50-55kg. I used to be able to lift it into the boot of a car - haven't tried that for many years so IHNI if I still could....

Get two more microwave transformers - don't rewind them, just reverse them, and put them in series - Jacob's Ladder time!

By changing the secondary winding you're directly affecting the voltage, and only indirectly the current it's capable of delivering - there's no magic way to make a load draw more/less current except by increasing/decreasing the voltage or for noticeably reactive loads, the frequency. So your motor speed controller should be a good fit for your induction heater. More people should know about those - many a person has turned their extension reel into one by not unwinding it fully...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks He who knows; my chum David found out the hard way regarding fully unwinding his extension reel when it self destructed. I don't have all the answers but I like learning; making mistakes is how I learn so much; I'm not an electrician so I'm careful as to what I describe when it comes to electrics; I learn on a need to know basis. I've seen videos of guys connecting more than one microwave transformers together but to a novice its very risky so if I attempted it I'd research first; I'm very safety conscious.

I've been recharging my own battery today after the last four days of of solid hard work but I plan to get into the workshop tomorrow assuming it isn't buried in snow; living so near The Pennines makes our weather very unpredictable indeed and when it does snow we catch it here on the steep valley side.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a quick update. Yesterday morning I turned a new insert from a bit of Acetyl bar stock to replace the damaged insert then rebuilt the chain saw; just the 20" bar and chain left to install.

Insert_0001.JPG

New insert on left; the original insert on the right is hollow with ribbed outer; I turned from the solid adding a counterbored hole to accept a slightly longer 5mm cap head machine set screw leaving the outer plain; the saw will possible be prone to a bit more vibration but at least it saved scrapping the saw just for a failed insert which isn't available. A lathe is a useful lump of kit.

This Timberwolf 20" petrol chainsaw has paid for itself many times over and still has a very good engine so it's a friend to me and I didn't just want to let it go.

I've now also bought a new Hyundai 20" petrol chainsaw it being one of these and I'm awaiting its delivery;

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/garden-machinery/hyundai-62cc-petrol-chainsaw-hyc6220/

I'm now well covered for chain saws. Three years ago my lovely wife treated me to an Hyundai petrol rotavator similar to this model;

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk...arden-tiller-cultivator-rotovator-rototiller/

This summer I bought two petrol Hyundai strimmers;

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk...grass-trimmer-strimmer-brushcutter-hybc5200x/

Above is the big strimmer/brush cutter I used to clear the meadow; I thought it would tire me out but once I found how to hook it up the the harness I quickly forgot about its weight.

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk..._medium=259955&utm_campaign=Comparison+Engine

So now I've got four new Hyundai petrol gardening machines to play with; the smaller strimmer I'm using for grass and edging the big strimmer/brush cutter is too unwieldy for edging at least it is for me.

I keep thinking I've got all the kit I'll ever need but always find space to squeeze more in. ;)

Kind regards, Colin W.

Ask a Question