Security camera - storing and accessing recordings

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all
Looking for tips on where to find this info...
I would like to mount a security camera outside my place for use while on extended vacation. I would purchase a camera that was motion activated.
When the camera detects activity, I'd like it to a) start recording video to a laptop (hardwired or within local network), and b) send me a notification so I can review the video from wherever I happen to be. I may not be immediately available, so I'd want the video to be retained 24-48 hours on the laptop before being overwritten.
Sounds like common requirement... sure it's been done many times before. I am pretty computer and network savvy, but looking for tips on cameras and software.
Not looking to buy into a monthly service in any way.
Cheers

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a HIK Vision 2TB NVR with eight exterior IR cameras. Camera's are CAT6 POE, so their easy to install. Don't waste your time with wireless. The software that comes with the NVR has settings so as to "wake-up" the recording when it views activity. My HD doesn't start over-writing until about 10 days, and I have all eight camera's recording 24/7....I am not using the "wake-up" feature. Regarding emailing you, that is quite easy as well. It does get complicated with firewalls, static/dynamic IP addresses, etc.....With my system, it's stand alone, no remote monitoring fees. HIK Vision is a commercial grade camera system.

Anyways, that's my 2-cents.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fairly new to home security but have had Eufy for about a year (Eufycam2C to be specific) the cameras a small and easy to mount. (The one downside is that they are fairly easy to remove too) They have an independent storage unit which connects to your home broadband allowing you to connect to the camera through an app. They are completely wireless so you can move them or install them anywhere. Battery life is pretty good (It only records when movement is detected) Notifications are sent to your smartphone. Reasonably priced for what you get.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think ColinP has a good point too. If your only putting a couple of camera's in, maybe wireless is the way to go.

Be reminded though that wireless camera's are awful on your home's internet speed....they reduce the bandwidth quite a bit. But, if you not a "gamer", or a web developer, you might be able to deal with reduced transmission speeds on your home network.

Ask a Question