Second oppinion on the use of vinyl wrap/ plexiglas

Reaction score
I'm planning to build a desk pc (a desk with a pc integrated), most of the things are straight forward but I'm having doubts on how to approach the tabletop. For the tabletop of the desk I want to have some LED decoration similar to the picture below. Having a diffuse light comming from within and a pattern on top of it to make it look interesting.
FFPQOH8FBQ33UR7.LARGE.jpg

The solution I came with is using an MDF plate as a base, followed with some spacers to create room for the RGB LED strips followed by a diffuse plexiglas plate to make the light less bright. For the patterns I was thinking of putting vinyl wrap on the plexiglas plate and then cutting out any shapes for the light to come through.

I don't have enough experience with plexiglass, nor with vinyl wrap to know how this will turn out. So I'm looking for a bit of a second oppinion. Would this be a feasible way of doing this? Or are there better ways? Are vinyl wrap and plexiglass decent materials for a tabletop (i.e. for cleaning, scratches, etc..)?

I'd rather ask here then buy everything and have it turn out awefull.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Lennart. From your description it sounds like you are working in uncharted territory here. Is there anyway you can experiment with some sample products? That way you might be able to see how this works without breaking the bank.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if you could route out those patterns on your choice of table top (or existing table) to a depth of 15mm or so, then lay some IP65 RGB LED strips within the pattern. You'd need to be clever with how you lay/join them, but it could be do-able. Once you've tested it lights up and works as expected, you could then pour some epoxy resin to fill the routed pattern (then finish the surface). You could mix up the epoxy with some white dye/medium to get a diffuse light from the LED strips.

If you search for "epoxy resin table" on Google images, you'll see a few example of how it's done (albeit on natural timber to fill in flaws).

Ask a Question