Screwing shelf into wall with damp treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years back our neighbours had a pipe burst, leading to damp issues in the party wall. Insurance sorted it out and the builders put a PVA layer I believe to help seal it.

My understanding is that it was a one-off damp issue and that after 4-5 years it should be okay. When the builders replaced the kitchen units presumably they would have drilled into the wall to affix them.

Now I wish to add a shelf and don't want to risk releasing any damp. Is it safe to assume I can insert a shelf (particularly one high up whereas most damp issues were towards the ground) seeing as we've not had damp issues since. One thing is that it'd have to be fairly deep drill holes as it's a heavy shelf. Or is there anything I could put into the drill holes to keep it sealed?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I believe it is safe to assume, that if there have been no "damp" issues, IE damp marks showing then the issue is in effect resolved.

if it were me, I would carry on drill as needed deep as you want.

if you have "reservations" you could use any "mastic" to fill the drill hole ? In My Opinion, the latter is over kill [sorry about that]

As an aside, PVA is itself Water soluble again [Sorry about that]

Bluntly carry on drill away to your hearts content, No Worries ! ! !

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Ken, yes we've not had any damp issues since. And you're right, PVA is water soluble so either I misunderstood what they used, there was a point to it, or they did what was easiest for them at the time! Either way we've not the damp problems return.

Ask a Question