Removing Decorative Exterior Shutters

Reaction score
Our home has decorative shutters around the front windows and doors. Unfortunately, they are not simply mounted onto the siding, but recessed into it. I’m hoping to remove them, install new trim, and replace any siding necessary.

I have looked around online for examples of how best to approach this, but I can’t seem to find any examples of faux shutters that aren’t mounted onto the siding.

Does anyone have any suggestions/cautions about how to go about this?

Also (I know this isn’t window/door related, but in case anyone has input...), we have a crawl space vent on the front of our house. I know there is some debate about how necessary these are. Would it be okay to remove the vent and cover the hole, or if not, to relocate it. And are either of these options something a homeowner could do, or better left to a pro?

Thanks in advance!

397B0751-905C-431D-95D7-09661D53A6D5.jpeg 9867B2CD-0D6C-4180-846D-A44B8CE73478.jpeg 91449BCD-46A1-4FD7-92B1-2EA5D0FDFB68.jpeg

Reaction score
Contact with the suitable home improvement or remodeling company. They can suggest you the most perfect solutions to you. Or talk with any experienced or professional exterior designers in your friend circle who have great knowledge of it.

Reaction score
Alile, I will leave the shutter question to someone else but would like to jump in on the vent. There are closeing vents made in all the standard sizes. They are easy to install and give you the best of both worlds. Ventilation to cool and dry the crawl space in summer and retain heat when closed in the winter.

Ask a Question