Removing a flat roof

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help with the following.

I have planning permission to build on top of my garage which has a flat roof. I have seen two builders and have asked them to prepare quotes but both have mentioned different ways of dealing with the flat roof.

The first builder said that I would need to hire a tin roof along with the scaffolding to protect the rest of my house from rain when he takes the flat roof off. He added that it would cost about 5k to hire. He said the only other way was to cover the exposed area with plastic sheeting but that this would leave my house insecure and would let in water.

The second builder has said that he will just lift up the edge of the flat roof and begin building and only take the flat roof off completely when the new roof is on. He said that there would be a slight chance of a leak if it rained but the alternative would be to get top hat scaffolding which would be about 7k

I don't know who is right. Obviously I don't want to leave my house insecure and at the risk of flooding but don't want to have to pay out 5k for a tin roof if I don't need to .

Help....Please

Ask a Question