Pulsing lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a three way light system and after fitting first was no lights, I checked the connections and found I hadn't taken the source neutral, and then some of the connections a had worn loose in the intermediate switch. But after resolving those issues I now have the lights coming on but they are pulsing. I had flickering lights before on the other installation using the power to the switch method, and resolving that was done through resolving the connection to the first of two spots. So my next move will be to check the connections, but does anyone know what the solution is for pulsing lights, or the cause of it?

Thanks

1666437985864.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for taking the time to amend the drawing and comment...

The method I've used calls for the power source to supply the 1st switch, but you're suggesting that it should be carried through to the last switch and return that way, or complete the circuit that way? I got the method from an educational source, however I'm willing to try what you suggest because I've already done the other things you mention.

Could arching be causing the pulsing lights? Or an irregular power supply? What are the common causes of pulsing lights?

I've had flickering lights when fitting LED spots which I resolved through checking the connections at the light, but this is different. Steady pulsing every two seconds or so.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well that worked, thanks! The remaining characteristic I have now with the lights is a lull before the lights come on. It was the same with the first attempt with method above but for a two switch hallway arrangement. Would you suggest the same change is applied here? E.g. The black COM would connect to the 'live' power source, and I'd bring the live from the light to the COM.

I have an issue from the light switch where I took the feed. I think I can say this because I used the method below which echoes the one i was using previously for the three switch. This would imply that there is an issue with the source, possibly a loose wire.

Then lastly how do I get a power source to this hallway light if its got the same issue as the kitchen 3 way, guess thats for me to solve. I don't fancy taking the power from the neighbouring switch at the other end of this, they share the same double switch with the kitchen three way at the hall/living door. I would be linking in to the 3 way kitchen power to do this. Its the end switch in the 3 way.

Current Wiring for Hallway Spot Lights
1666519652745.png

New suggested arrangement? with query about new source?
1666522919704.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well that worked, thanks! The remaining characteristic I have now with the lights is a lull before the lights come on. It was the same with the first attempt with method above but for a two switch hallway arrangement. Would you suggest the same change is applied here? E.g. The black COM would connect to the 'live' power source, and I'd bring the live from the light to the COM.

I have an issue from the light switch where I took the feed. I think I can say this because I used the method below which echoes the one i was using previously for the three switch. This would imply that there is an issue with the source, possibly a loose wire.

Then lastly how do I get a power source to this hallway light if its got the same issue as the kitchen 3 way, guess thats for me to solve. I don't fancy taking the power from the neighbouring switch at the other end of this, they share the same double switch with the kitchen three way at the hall/living door. I would be linking in to the 3 way kitchen power to do this. Its the end switch in the 3 way.

Current Wiring for Hallway Spot Lights
View attachment 5160

New suggested arrangement? with query about new source?
View attachment 5161
Actually thinking about the query around the power source, this would leave me with a neutral issue to the light. I can't think how I can have the power source in one location and the neutral in another. And I'm not keen on putting more cables into the power source feeding the kitchen lights, its tight enough with two. Hmmmm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...so I tried to get three cables out of the source and it wasn't good, so I've disconnected the feed to the hall lights from it. I did switch the cables to the method you showed in the first diagram. Kitchen lights are working albeit with a slight delay and a single flicker on start up. No issues once they're on, but not used them for a longer period to see if there is any deteriation in the supply. Another thing I did notice is that there was another cable that had come loose in the last switch in the kitchen three way. I re-fitted that and put the covers back on. Need to get a solution to the source for the hall lights in latest diagram, and figure ouit whats causing the delay and twitch in the kitchen lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another spot... the outdoor light that I'm taking the power supply from comes on when the kitchen lights are on? This wasn't happening previously, do you think its because I'm taking the power from the live, it's really dim but on...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Actually thinking about the query around the power source, this would leave me with a neutral issue to the light. I can't think how I can have the power source in one location and the neutral in another. And I'm not keen on putting more cables into the power source feeding the kitchen lights, its tight enough with two. Hmmmm
I suspect I might be of better help if you produced a layout of your floor plan. Show the entire area on one drawing

1) Where are all the existing switches?
2) Where do you want added switches, if any?
3) Where are all the existing lights?
4) Where do you want added lights, if any?
5) Identify which lights you want switched with which switches? (using various colors are good for this)
6) Identify where your existing feed/s are, with it's neutral?

A neat hand drawing is often times just fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect I might be of better help if you produced a layout of your floor plan. Show the entire area on one drawing

1) Where are all the existing switches?
2) Where do you want added switches, if any?
3) Where are all the existing lights?
4) Where do you want added lights, if any?
5) Identify which lights you want switched with which switches? (using various colors are good for this)
6) Identify where your existing feed/s are, with it's neutral?

A neat hand drawing is often times just fine.
1666778556665.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To answer your questions:

1) Where are all the existing switches - shown in the diagram
2) Where do you want added switches, if any - will be in the bank of 4 marked '4G'.
3) Where are all the existing lights - see diagram
4) Where do you want added lights, if any - in the hallway as shown 's =spots'.
5) Identify which lights you want switched with which switches? (using various colors are good for this) - its all wired up but I don't have a reliable source, the issue raised 'pulsating lights' was caused by the poor supply to the security light switch in the 1st switch in 4 gang.
6) Identify where your existing feed/s are, with it's neutral? - I'm sure what you mean, but the supplies for the kitchen 3 way is being taken from the 2nd light switch (neutral and live).

A neat hand drawing is often times just fine. - hopefully the drawing provided will help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
**of course the issue I have is that the outdoor lights now come on when switch on the kitchen lights, and when I turn on the outdoor lights the kitchen lights go off. Hmm..

1. So I'll try going back to the old wiring diagram
2. I'll also test the source to find out which is the live and neutral feed (easier for me to discribe this way (permanent/switching line)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I can't help you with this. You are WAY overdoing this. I appears you are meticulous about the way you present your query. Tone all this down. Quite the computer generated drawings, and talk/type human. I'm sorry to word it this way, your WAY overdoing a simple question. Too, respectfully, please don't be offering assistance to other people in here on electrical questions when you yourself doesn't know what their doing.

Ask a Question