Proper installation of Drainage pipe of egress window well

Reaction score
Country
United States
Should vertical corrugated pipe be directly connected to perforated corrugated perimeter drain with a tee in perimeter drain and vertical pipe inserted into tee

or

should vertical corrugated pipe stop short of perforated corrugated perimeter drain about 3” or 4” in the pea gravel around perforated corrugated perimeter drain and water would flow thru gravel into perforated perimeter drain pipe?

Reaction score
If I were doing it- I would be sure that the pipes had physical contact to ensure no soil could work its way in over the years. I am assuming the horizontal pipe has holes only on the bottom side. I may even add some sealant where the pipes meet depending on the soil.

Reaction score
The only time I got involved with drainage pipe (6") was installing additional surface water drainage at a property that flooded now and again due to being low-lying and poor utility drainage. I laid the pipe on 6-mm gravel (pea beach), but wrapped it with a permeable non-woven membrane to keep the silt out. I backfilled the trench with 40-mm cobbles. For extra protection, I installed a proper gulley pot for the house downpipes plus a large water butt to protect the soakaway. Just for good measure, dug a deeper chamber (450-mm diameter) and dropped a submersible pump in it. The system must work as it has never flooded again in about ten years despite torrential rain.

Reaction score
Forgot to add - for good measure, wrapped the joints with plastic and tape with Gorilla tape. It's a lot easier to pull a clean joint apart than one ground in with grit. Last tip - to get large soil joints apart, use a couple of vehicle oil filter pliers, lots of turning, less pulling.

Ask a Question