Bore hole pump for two properties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently moved to a property with a private water supply for two properties I have discovered the electric supply & control box for the pump is connected to my supply.
Not a major issue but the other property has no control of their water supply.
Apart from fitting a totally new hydro supply specifically for the pump, is it feasible to fit electrical two supplies (one from each property) to one pump so they work independently from one another ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing that would almost certainly be a bad idea.

Equipment supplied from two sources becomes potentially much more dangerous to work on - you would have to add isolation local to the pump.

There would be a risk of back-feeding one property from the other - even with your main switch turned off there would still be a live connection through your pump MCB to the busbar in your CU.

Adjacent properties are often on different phases.

And this one I'd have to think about - earthing issues if you have a TT supply?

When you say " the other property has no control of their water supply ", what do you mean? What sort of "control" should they/would they like to have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It’s just the fact the electrical supply for the borehole pump is connected to our house, should we be away for sometime and there is a problem with the water they would need access to our house to check the electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see what you mean.

The only guaranteed resolutions to potential problems along those lines are two pumps, one for each property, ora dedicated supply to the pump which originates and remains totally outside either property.

Ask a Question