Potterton 10-16 MkII

PMV

Reaction score
We have a Potterton 10-16 MKII, typically it works intermittently,(When it comes on its great and heats Water and Rads brilliantly).

So it does work but not always when we want it, Fan seems to come on ok every time, but pilot doesn’t fire up every time or main Gas burner. Subsequently Wifey has switched Timer Monitor to 24hr setting and the heating + hot Water seem to work for a couple of hours at most and at completely random times and never the same times of the day, so may come on in middle of night so rads are just cooling off when we get up, or fire up at 5pm or whatever, doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to this.

We tried contacting some local Boiler Service and repair people and as per your Site, they say its to old to bother repairing and didn’t seem to have any interest in anything but selling us a new boiler…

So, situation is:
Why does it work intermittantly, stays On for hpur or 2. For all the world it sounds as if its working normally but Pilot sometimes doesnt fire up and then main burners dont fiire up. If I switch it off for several hours then the cahnces are taht it does ignite next time but I haven't yet established what is the cause? Anyone please help?

Has anyone else had same problem and if so please advise on waht part requires replacing.

Kind Regards
Parry

PMV

Reaction score
Hi All
Thiugh I had a number of viewings of this POST but no replys have managed to resolve the issue now. After agin refferencing the Potterton troubleshooting Flow Chart decided that the Mercury Phial was a very probable / most likely cause!
So took the plunge and ordered a new one from E-bay £65 notes, and hey Presto, installed and all back to normal...
Wifey is now happy and no need to buy a NEW Boiler even though this one is 30 Years old.. (For now anyway)
P

Ask a Question