Possible DIY repairs to pass state inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think this is the main argument here, (at least it is for me) and there's a few things to consider:

1 - What additional fuel and emissions are released / caused by people waiting in line at the emissions testing center? When I used to have to take my car (a little two seat mid-engined Pontiac Fiero), there were always, always, very long lines. Everyone had to do it every year based on either their birthday or time of registration. People sat in running cars for ~45 minutes. Most people passed, so the fact that everyone else had to sit there burning fuel, probably negated any positive gain from taking the few cars off the road that wouldn't have passed.

2 - Big point for me... these laws only hurt poor people, and disproportionately so.

3 - Each newer car is not only more emission-friendly, but they are also safer for the occupants as well. So even if there was an accident caused by vehicle failure from them or someone else, the chance of serious injury is far less.

4 - Vehicles that were "on their last leg" so to speak, were unlikely to remain on the road for much longer. At least here in the US, we have somewhat of a "throw-away" culture, and people buy new cars every few years. Something that's old with some faulty parts, probably isn't going to be around much longer and will end up in the junkyard fairly soon anyway, so with 1-3 above, is it worth it?
1 - here we dont have a separate emissions test, and it is very rare for people to sit in their cars waiting for a while-you-wait MOT test - usually you drop it off and collect it later. If you do wait, it will almost certainly be in their scummy waiting room drinking scummy vending machine coffee and thumbing through 3-year old car magazines.

2 - So do very many policies and taxes and "tax cuts".

3 - Yup. And EVs of course produce zero emissions (directly). Apart from rubber microparticles.

4 - Always been less of a phenomenom here.

one of the reasons why I taught myself to work on cars was due to what I perceived as dishonesty. I do it all now, rebuild engines, paint and body, suspension, whatever.
I used to do all that. Then I had 15-20 years where I had a company-provided car, so couldn't DIY, that got me out of the habit, and now not only am I not sure I'd like to go back, I don't know how realistic DIY servicing of an V6 E-Class is. Can't even change the left headlamp bulb without removing chunks of under-bonnet stuff. (Or - I'm told the easiest way to access it - jack the car up, remove left front wheel, remove the plastic shield under there, and go in that way. :mad: )

Since the garage was the "keeper" of whether or not you passed or failed... it was quite often that they would invariably always say something was broken, so that they could get some work out of you. It was very dishonest... and very frustrating.
I guess the same applies everywhere, and for anything where inspections are mandated. Huge problem for landlords in the UK right now as they recently mandated electrical inspections, and forums are full of landlords with tales of woe about ludicrous "fails".

Can sometimes work the other way though - I used to use a garage who competed for testing business by not charging the test fee if the vehicle failed. Perish the thought that they had an incentive to pass "borderline" cases which other places might fail.

OOI - what do inspecions cost over there? Here its less than a tank of fuel.

Reaction score
Country
United States
1 - here we dont have a separate emissions test, and it is very rare for people to sit in their cars waiting for a while-you-wait MOT test - usually you drop it off and collect it later. If you do wait, it will almost certainly be in their scummy waiting room drinking scummy vending machine coffee and thumbing through 3-year old car magazines.
Ok, now you've crossed a line! Hahah, just kidding. I only say that because the best coffee I've ever had in my life, came from a "Tires Plus" waiting room. It was replete with 3-year old car magazines, a scummy vending machine, and old worn / stained chairs. But man, that coffee was fantastic.

And just so you don't get the wrong impression of me, I've had some fantastic coffee, whether it's with muscles in Bruges, or with "pofertjes" in Utrect, or Turkish coffee in Cairo, or Himalayan Gold in Nepal. But this crap waiting room coffee... unbelievable. I think it was just run of the mill Folgers... but I'll never forget how awesome it was.

I used to do all that. Then I had 15-20 years where I had a company-provided car, so couldn't DIY, that got me out of the habit, and now not only am I not sure I'd like to go back, I don't know how realistic DIY servicing of an V6 E-Class is. Can't even change the left headlamp bulb without removing chunks of under-bonnet stuff. (Or - I'm told the easiest way to access it - jack the car up, remove left front wheel, remove the plastic shield under there, and go in that way. :mad: )
Ugh... don't even go there. My wife used to have a "New Beetle" before our daughter was born. Do you know what I had to do to change a tail-light? I had to remove ALL... ALL of the interior trim in the trunk area, as well as pull out the spare tire. And the battery... the battery died after only 3 years, and I had to basically remove everything from the engine bay, except the engine itself. The ECM was mounted on top of the batter... why? I had to remove the air cleaner assembly, the ECM, multiple brackets and other stuff. It took me THREE hours to change out a battery. You'd think I was a complete moron! I don't know any situation in which it takes 3 hours to change a battery. But in this car it was. Changing the oil, I had to drop a huge windage pan under the car... why wouldn't they just make a little cut out for the oil filter?

I refuse to buy vehicles that I cannot maintain. I'm all about paying for services, and I hate working on cars... but I cannot bring myself to take a vehicle to someone who could care less about it.

I guess the same applies everywhere, and for anything where inspections are mandated. Huge problem for landlords in the UK right now as they recently mandated electrical inspections, and forums are full of landlords with tales of woe about ludicrous "fails".

Can sometimes work the other way though - I used to use a garage who competed for testing business by not charging the test fee if the vehicle failed. Perish the thought that they had an incentive to pass "borderline" cases which other places might fail.

A lot of this is political, and I understand that. I suppose it was Winston Churchill who said it best ... or maybe Margaret Thatcher? I can't remember, "There is more that brings us together, than pushes us apart."

I like to remind everyone that on some level, we both agree. We both want cleaner air and safer roads, but we just have a different opinion on how to get there. I think incentive is always a better solution than oppression. I also think mandating safer cars and emissions is better done through innovation at the production level, than through mandates at the consumer level.

OOI - what do inspecions cost over there? Here its less than a tank of fuel.
In Florida, back in the late 1990s, it was about $30... so ~37 sterling pounds? But there's been a lot of inflation since then, so maybe more like 70 pounds? I just moved from Texas though, and they did have an annual inspection which was much more fair, and that was only $5 USD. For me now, it's far less about the cost, than it is the massive inconvenience.

That said, when I was a young adult, I didn't have a lot of money, and I was always stressed and worried that if I didn't pass safety and emissions testing, that I wouldn't be able to get to work, and I'd get fired. Likewise, I didn't have the credit to be able to afford to buy a newer car, so I was stuck with what I had. Thankfully, I am fairly mechanical, and taught myself to work on it. But even then... when you failed an inspection, they REQUIRED you to take it to a shop and have a receipt for the work, so at that point, I couldn't even do the work myself... I was required to pay a shop for proof. :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ugh... don't even go there. My wife used to have a "New Beetle" before our daughter was born. Do you know what I had to do to change a tail-light? I had to remove ALL... ALL of the interior trim in the trunk area, as well as pull out the spare tire. And the battery... the battery died after only 3 years, and I had to basically remove everything from the engine bay, except the engine itself. The ECM was mounted on top of the batter... why? I had to remove the air cleaner assembly, the ECM, multiple brackets and other stuff. It took me THREE hours to change out a battery. You'd think I was a complete moron! I don't know any situation in which it takes 3 hours to change a battery. But in this car it was. Changing the oil, I had to drop a huge windage pan under the car... why wouldn't they just make a little cut out for the oil filter?
There was a Swiss maker once called Monteverdi - they made a car where you had to take the engine out to change the plugs...

when you failed an inspection, they REQUIRED you to take it to a shop and have a receipt for the work, so at that point, I couldn't even do the work myself... I was required to pay a shop for proof. :(
You couldn't just get it retested? Did they have joined up IT systems, so maybe just go to another inspection centre?

Reaction score

I refuse to buy vehicles that I cannot maintain. I'm all about paying for services, and I hate working on cars... but I cannot bring myself to take a vehicle to someone who could care less about it.
This is truly weird. I just finished completely rebuilding a 2006 New Beetle. The car was a salvage. Lots of body damage. Wrecker inflicted serious engine damage, Maf issues, Turbo leaks, Boost issues, vac leaks, Bashed up rear lights , 1/2m bumper cracks dropped headliner, you name it too much to mention.

It ended up being the easiest car to work on, except for the fact that it is a side mounted engine, which is a mess on all side-mounted cars and I spent very little to get iot back into tip top shape. The chassis is rock solid, no rust no marks, looks new.

As an example I had to replace the rear lights. It honestly takes no more than 1 1/2 minutes to remove a rear light and literally seconds to remove the backup and side lights. I honestly dont understand why you had to take the bumper out.
There is absolutely no reason to remove the rear bumper to get a light off. you just have to think German.
The Procedure is:
1) Open the trunk, there are two plastic punchouts where the lights are.
2) take out the punchout.
3) Stick your hand in the hole and you will find a 2" large plastic nut that you unscrew which holds the light in place.
4) With that removed, Gently pry on the trunk side of the light with eg a plastic scraper. There is a silver catch which you press and the entire light comes out. this takes literally for me 1 minute to do. then 1 minute to replace a bulb, then 1 minute to mount the the entire light assembly back in.
Easy.

The headlights are even easier. All you need is a 5mm long socket and wrench with extension to unlock the light locks from inside the engine bay. Then the entire light just slides out of the cavity. This is literally a 1/2 minute job to take out a front head light !
I know of no other car where it is easier to do this. It is way faster than unthreading the obvious retaining bolt of a headlamp on a Model T Ford !

The car looks and drive like new now, I dont want to give it to my daughter anymore! Completely fell in love with it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question