Pollution marks on paintwork

Reaction score
Hi All,

I live on a heavily trafficked street with no separation between pavement and living room. At its worst, around doors and walls, when I wiped to clean my white emulsion walls, I get these terrible looking black marks that don't seem to wash off but spreads. Do you have any ideas how to remove or is the only solution to emulsion over.
I've tried a magic eraser sponge and sugar soap wipes but they both seems to spread dirty grey marks.

Thanks
Michael

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You're most welcome Michael. :)

About three years ago I gave our bungalow exterior a comprehensive makeover the bungalow having lots of timberwork including original frames.

It took over 5 US gallons of very top quality Benjamin Moore paint ( this paint is American and now sold here in the UK at around £82 per US gallon I used Aura exterior satin). Last year I noticed dirty water streaks that I tried to remove with assorted liquids I even emailed Shaws the paint supplier requesting advice; Shaw's responded saying they could supply patches of matching colour? Out of interest I then thought I'd try using WD40; I was delighted to find it worked a treat; I had sprayed the WD40 onto a clean cloth and buffed the watermark rubbing gently. I then emailed Shaw's who were grateful to receive the information. Please try WD40 on a small area first Michael it worked for me so fingers crossed it will also work for you too.

https://www.benjaminmoorepaint.co.uk/

I find many uses for WD40 and have bought 5L from Rufforth Auto Jumble where I visit once a month weather permitting; 5L only cost me £20 and should last for a very long time.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Colin, Outstanding, it's the best product for tar stains I've found out since rebitumening my roofs, even worked on carpet where my cat paws had crossed it! Also used as you advised on various scuff and paintwork marks. It's wonderful stuff!
Many thanks again
Michael

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Michael for your update. :)

A quick spray or wipe over with WD40 works wonders. Something else you might try Michael if you don't already have any; latex gloves; I buy lots of these latex gloves in boxes of 100 from Rufforth Auto Jumble only costing around £2 per box so I've always got a stock of these boxes; wearing a pair of these gloves keeps my hands clean whilst I'm doing lots of messy jobs; oiling machines; handling paint and many types of finishes and of course WD40; when I've finished I peel the gloves from my hands meaning the gloves are now inside out; to turn then round I simply grasp each glove and give a good blow into it's open end.

Here below is a plastic tool container I wiped over with WD40; what a difference it makes. I'm pleased to have been of help.

Kind regards, Colin.

WD40_001.JPG

Scruffy box back.
WD40_002.JPG

Box front after a spray and wipe over with WD40.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Another cleaning product I can highly recommend is Williams waterless-wash-n-wax. I've just used this again today to clean our Skoda Yeti bringing it up gleaming just like new; years ago I bought Greased Lightning similar product from Idealworld then they dropped this in favour of the Williams.

https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/wil...and_iw@gt;%7bwilliams%7d&fh_sort=-hasimage_iw

The Williams from Idealworld is very expensive now; when I bought my last lot it was on special offer. However I've just bought 5L through eBay just now; it's the same but doesn't come with a nozzle; I've still got the spray applicator which I can easily refill and I'm sure other spray applicators can be pressed into service.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Williams...rentrq:9555bd0e1680aaa32516355efff20cdc|iid:1

If our Yeti is very dirty then I use bucket and sponge.

Heavy snow is forecast so I thought I would encourage it by polishing the car this afternoon. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question