Plywood ceiling for one story home

Reaction score
Hey Yall,

First Time poster. I am currently renovating my first home. Home is singly story wood frame original built in 1920 and interior was sheathed in plaster and lathe, albeit what was left of it when I purchased the home. I have gutted the house and found the ceiling joists are pretty decent looking heart pine beams, complimented by plaster marks in between where the lathe was attached. This looks pretty cool and we are hoping to expose the beams to compliment the home. I have been considering placing Sheetrock above the joists, but appropriately so roof can still ventilate from soffit vents. As of now the attic space will not be climate controlled. Obviously having sheet rock rest on the joists would make moving around in the attic precarious to say the least. I am wondering if it makes sense to use 3/8 inch plywood instead. I guess this removes a fire barrier between the attic and the living space. Anyone ever placed Sheetrock or ply above ceiling joists to expose beams? I can not find anywhere in my local building codes that excludes this. Contractor has never heard of anyone doing this. Any insights?

Thanks,

Richard.

Reaction score
Think long and hard before you commit to doing this. It is going to give your house an industrial feel. You will not be happy with the results. If you like the warmth that wood gives a room, consider faux wood beams.

Ask a Question