Old/Unused Back boiler risk of explosion

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just had a hideous gas fire removed and the gas capped off in order to revert back to having an open fire.

Despite having had people look at the feasibility of this nobody flagged up the risk of the old metal back boiler. It was the chimney sweep who brought it up and only after I questioned him if I needed to check anything else - I was all ready for getting a fire going.

Anyhow, I am now aware that there are cases of these defunct back boilers exploding. My question is how do I know if the back boiler is properly decommissioned and properly vented? The chimney seep suggested drilling a hole but I want to be sure this is a proper solution and that I actually drill in the right place.

I'm guessing that there must be thousands of people who revert to an open fire and have had a back boiler there in the past. Strangely all those we know who have open fires don't seem aware of the risk and some admit to having had back defunct back boiler still in situ with an open fire. So:

1. Is it a must that I remove it?
2. If not how can it be checked without taking it out or creating more work?
3. Is it actually as simple as me drilling a few holes in it to be sure it is vented?

Any thoughts or experience of this would be welcome.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I would contact the person that decommissioned it and ask them. If nothing else, they might be able to reassure you that it's safe.

Reaction score
I think Gissle's advice here is solid. With a catchy title that includes "risk of explosion" I would hate to chance it!

Ask a Question