Old Toilet lapper issue!

Reaction score
Have a 1920 home old toilet fixtures. One with re-occuring tank flapper problems. When I heard the familiar sound of running water after a flush, having had fit problems before, I bought a few sizes of flappers and dived in! Damn, the leaking flapper was a brand I never saw before. It was one piece rubber, with a hole that slid down the overflow tube and held the flapper in place. When I removed it and tried to replace it with a Fluid Master Flapper I discovered the metel r
ing with an extruding piece on each side that held the flapper was missing!!! Don't know what this piece is called but can I replace it? Where can I get it from?
Grateful for all answers!

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Sorry, Doug! Thanks for pointing out the geography issue! I'm in Los Angeles. By the way, love your handle, were you a submariner at some time?

Thanks again,
Joe

Reaction score
Joe, that nickname came from an English / Speech teacher I had in high school. I was always a very quiet kid and she joked that I would be great for working on a sub when they were running silent.

Now to the good stuff - A couple of years ago I sold my house in Florida. One of the things I had to fix before selling was a running toilet. It had the rubber flapper that wouldn’t seat properly. I went to the local ACE Hardware and the guy suggested I replace the entire unit. They have a kit for replacing everything inside the holding tank. It took less than an hour but the unit fit perfectly and functioned flawlessly. Just a suggestion.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Doug, Thanks for revealing how you got your nickname. Plumbing wise, it appears that I may be looking at the same replacement kit that fixed your Florida home problem. Thanks again for your advice.

Ask a Question