Noisy Chipboard Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have noisy chipboard flooring in a couple of bedrooms. I know about using diluted PVA for squeaky joints, but this is a different noise entirely. It's a loud clank whenever you walk on it. It appears well screwed down, and I have added extra screws but it has made no difference. Is there anything that can be done, or is it a matter of buying really thick underlay and carpeting?

Reaction score
It's likely that one of the joists under the floor is not seated on its hanger or wallplate. That joist will be held up off its support by the stiffness of the floorboards until your weight goes on it. The only remedy will be to take up the appropriate piece of flooring and put a spacer under the end of the joist. This may not be so easy as it sounds. You would first have to identify the offending joist by judicious walking. The position of the joists will be identifiable by the rows of screws in the floor. Then if your "chipboard" is the modern "moisture-resistant" type it is all tongue-and grooved together, meaning you have to take it all up from one edge until you get where you need to be. The older (1960/70s) is individual sheets so doesn't have this problem. HTH Harry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply Harry. The noise is just about anywhere in the middle of the floor and its where I stand at any time. It's not coming from the ends of the room. So would it still be an unseated joist that causes this?

Ask a Question