New violin/crafting studio.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not necessarily....

;)
Thanks for this it's very interesting; I wonder what it would sound like without amplifier or synthesizer? Since last posting things have moved on a bit; I've restrung the balalaika and tuned it also my lovely wife has been treating me again because I now have a synthesizer; with my synthesizer I only need to touch the pickup on the violin to make some really nice sounds.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Meris-Enzo-Synth-Pedal/2NTM

I agree a shovel doesn't cost much but I think the amp and synth will; at least they have for me; this Enzo alone cost £309 but what a great bit of kit to experiment with.

I've not added it up but I reckon my small studio kit must run to £3,000 including the violins possibly more.

I think I'd prefer a Stadivarius though to the shovel; but then you get what you pay for;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...146m-combine-record-expensive-music-ever.html

I've a birthday coming up next month and my wife wants to spoil me even more; she's just wonderful.

I'm thinking about one of these violins;

https://tedbrewerviolins.com/buy-it-now/

The bow costs an extra £55 but not a problem my best hybrid carbon fiber bow cost almost £300.

Phil Collin's was selling a mixer deck on eBay about a month ago at £175,000. It wouldn't fit into my studio but then I have my Tascam pocket studio which will do more than I'll possibly ever need. :D

Once the studio is fully set up ready for winter then I can enjoy some serious fun.

Sorry for all the links but as I said for serious playing deep pockets are needed.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like any electric guitar, it'll sound almost soundless with no amp. Don't think he's using a synth though...?

And yeah - I know it's nothing like the cost, or craftsmanship, of making acoustic instruments out of wood, but interesting to see how cheaply you can make something perfectly functional.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your information @He who knows yes I've seen some of his interesting videos;

After a lot of thought and more looking at the Ted Brewer perspex violin I decided to walk away thinking it too gimmicky for me with LED's I'm not putting this violin down in any way it just doesn't appeal to me so I've been spending a lot of time browsing the web and found a top selling Yamaha YEV-104 NT this an electric violin which is well regarded at a very decent price; my lovely wife Bron has treated me to it and I've only had it a day or so; I've fitted the bridge and strings but am having a spot of trouble tuning it; on one of the strings my electronic tuner skips a note but it's highly likely my own ignorance at fault and I've been far too busy to spend time with i; I did connect it to my Laney guitar amp and it sounded really strange but as I say no time to play around with it and this afternoon I've just sold and had collected my heavy cast iron Union Graduate woodturning lathe which saddens me but I simply haven't the time in order to do any woodturning.

I've got the light coloured YEV seen in the video and it looks like a work of art.

I must have stumbled on a good choice because as seen in the video it's the best selling Yamaha electric violin; I'm sure I'll get years of enjoyment out of it. This YEV comes without bow or case. Bought from Thomann at £699 inc. It came double boxed in excellent condition.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_yev_104_nt_electric_violin.htm

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Since my last post things got really bad preventing me getting into the studio as usual.

Living here in Yorkdhire we seldom have very hot summers but this year a hot summer arrived and it sure was hot at up to 38C which is a record and has been unbelievable; the last hot summer I recall was in 1976 and the summer before that was when I was a child around 1952.

It's been so hot it's caused property damage; when I made our side hung double garage doors years ago I used mortice & tenon joints each fully glued and wedged pulled up tight with sash cramps; this year joints opened up in the frames and also the glass beading; the same with the wooden porch I made and installed the porch door also suffering; I think it was through shock because they've never been subjected to such heat previously.

I set about repairs and because Benjamin Moore couldn't supply the correct colours we decided to paint all three doors black; BM couldn't even supply black so we bought elsewhere; I got stuck in and completed the job.

No sooner was this job sorted it brought me up to my birthday; birthday morning I received a wonderful present; stepping onto the rear patio I was amazed to see the two roomed rear extension had gone walkabout; one of these rooms my new violin studio which I'd just completed and hoped to occupy.

The intense heat has dried out the foundations allowing the entire extension to break free from the main bungalow which about sums up my normal lousy bad luck. This was bad so I tried to contact LV insurance to put in a claim after all it was all well insured; I was informed I was to be put in a queue and for at least 20 minutes; I'm now 75 and ageing rapidily so I hung up and filled in their online claim form and waited and waited and to make it worse we then ran into the bank holiday; I emailed and cancelled the claim but amazingly I soon received a reply asking if I would confirm cancelling the claim; yes I would but why didn't they reply when they should have; it's always easy paying for the policy but trying to claim I'd have better chance joining hands to contact the dead.

I then spent two hard days repairing both outer walls where the extension joins the bungalow; by the rear door this is timber work but the other end is random stone.

I repaired the timber joint first by scribing 3" x 1" planed softwood the sealing it with a couple of coats of paint before installing using stainless wood screws; one joint sorted taking a day including driving over to visit two huddersfield stores for timber and sand.

The second day was unpleasant; it was rather cold first thing when I started but in the afternoon I was applying mortar to the joints in scorching hot sunshine; the wall being random stone was a major pain to chop out the damaged joints with a number of holes opening to the cavity; normally I used hydraulic lime mortar but absolutely fed up of this constant hassle and hard work this time I used a weak cement mortar at 5/1 mix grey building sand and cement; our site is steeply sloping and I was working at times from a tall stepladder. putting in a full heavy day I was pleased to walk away from this having completed the repairs. Total cost of repairing the walls £17 and I know the work is top class.

Now for the more difficult roof joint; 33 years ago I replaced both the main bungalow and extension roofs with only my wonderful wife helping me; these roofs have never been touched since apart from two pressure washes. Every tile was clipped and nailed so I thought I'll get a bit of help and emailed Eagle Roofing who replied saying they would visit yesterday (Friday) Peter Brady the invisible man hadn't visited by after 6pm so I politely emailed and cancelled any visit from them. Now as usual I'll do the repair myself but the Nuralite sheeting I used on the extension all those years ago appears no longer available again just my usual bad luck; I wanted a sheet of Nuralite to cut into 6" wide strips this product being excellent with my full trust in it. This morning I bought online from Roofing Superstore a 150mm x 12m roll of this lead alternative which looks perfect for my needs;

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk...of-flashing-black-150mm-x-12m-33mm-thick.html

When it arrives then I'll remove the bottom row of Marley Wessex tiles to give access to the joint with the bonus I can apply it in one length.

My bad luck never changes and not many will have a new music studio when fully populated with vions and recording gear where the studio goes walk about; I should be settled in the studio but ever since my wife bought me my first ever violin for my last birthday something prevents me practicing with it; I've even felled 15 very tall trees due to storm damage in atrocious weather conditions again without any help whatsoever; once I make good the roof repair what next to upset me; will I ever play my violins in peace and will the studio remain in one place long enough; I'm past being fed up so I just constantly moan but get stuck into all the problems and hassle thrown at me.

Heat damage_0002_03.JPG

The timber joint from extension to bungalow self destructed opening up a big gap.

Heat damage_0003_03.JPG

A day to sort this out. Colour top coats still to apply.

Heat damage_0005_03.JPG

What a delight random stone is to repair when mortar joints open up to the cavity; here ready for new mortar.

Heat damage_0006_03.JPG

Six areas of this wall were damaged all now repaired.

Heat damage_0007_02.JPG

Garage/worksop doors repaired and painted; I used Zinsser paint but would have preferred Benjamin Moore paint but it wasn't available even in black. I made and installed these side hung doors years ago replacing an up and over door; these are much better.

Heat damage_0008_02.JPG

The porch front door now repaired and painted; I made and installed the porch a few years ago as I did the cladding also seen.

I dream of practicing playing my violins but I can dream on.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've now completed the repairs including the roof. Had LV insurance been any good in supporting my claim it would hve cost us £1,000 for agreed policy excess; rough cost of doing the entire job myself around £400 for materials and I bought the best materials wanting the repairs to last many years.

When I opened up the main roof to extension joint I found wood rot which quite alarmed me. Fortunately the rot was confined to one batten; when I installed the roof 33 years ago I had the sense not to be cheap and used WBP ply over the extension; this ply is still good and although I'm not happy to have subsidence it pushed me into checking this joint which I intended to check anyway so in a way I'm glad I was pushed to do it now.

Rotten timber_0002.JPG

This really did worry me but it was confined so not a huge or costly job to repair.
Rotten timber_0005_01.JPG

Here's the rotten batten removed. New treated batten was bought at Wickes and although treated I gave it a couple of coats of Sikkens paint before installing it and stainless woodscrews were used.

Wall to ceiling damage (2).JPG

The interior damage here seen is the wall to ceiling joint.

Ceiling repaired_0001.JPG

Ceiling joint neatly repaired using a weak 5/1 mortar mix.
Roof completed_0005.JPG

Roof joint repaired.
Roof completed_0006.JPG

Another picture of the roof joint; I completed the repair before dinner time yesterday then after dinner I cut the grass; went over the meadow with the petrol mower and finished off trimming the grass borders using a petrol strimmer; I thought by this time I'd had enough punishment for one day.

Roof joint.png

Here's the way I arranged the joint between both roofs 33 years ago; The main roof undercloaking was allowed to drape onto the extension roof; the extension roof covering Nuralite was arranged as shown to include a "Return" I also added a full length hose pipe as seen; the undercloak being first defense the hose second and the return third; it's worked extremely well; I was aware the undercloaking had worn over the years and was in need of inspecting but with the subsidense the Nuralite plus hose moved 1/2" nearer tile bottom edge hence now exposing the joint more; the new alternative lead 6" wide strip covers the original cloaking bottom and extends 4" under the tile bottom whilst completely covering the hose so it's really even better now than when I reroofed all those years ago. I dreampt up the hose idea and am delighted it worked so well so it's still included.

Will I get time to spend in the studio? In an hour I'm heading out for my Covid booster jab; tomorrow we're visiting a friend; I'm sure there's plenty of time for other jobs to demand my urgent attention before Friday.

Just under two weeks to completely repair the subsidence damage; probably about the time LV might have looked at it. Job done and done well.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

With winter rapidly approaching I thought I'd rotavate the top meadow whilst the weather is still decent; normally I do this in October in freezing conditions. Years ago I removed a very large elderberry tree from the top right hand corner; at the time it was a nightmare of a job; the base of the tree had grown around a buried brick/concrete pathway; I cleared a lot of this but the remaining section of the path plus lots of buried stones still remained and these have caused lots of problems rotavating near them; I decided enough was enough time to get the lot out.

Last Saturday I rotavated up to this section then raked over bagging up debris which was very tiring working on the steep slope. Early Sunday morning I started removing the bricks; concrete; tree roots & stones; it was an horrible very heavy job but having put in a full day's hard graft job done. Yesterday morning getting out of bed I could hardly move; I'd definitely overdone it working myself to a standstill; I felt really ill but after dinner I came round and tackled more jobs.

Meadow now tidy_0001.JPG

Here's the top edge of the meadow looking untidy where access to the rotavator was denied.
Meadow now tidy_0002.JPG

Just to add to my punishment there were still remaing roots from trees I'd felled so these too had to come out.

Meadow now tidy_0003.JPG

Another of the tree roots adding to my joy.

Meadow now tidy_0004.JPG

The concrete being broken up.

Meadow now tidy_0005.JPG

Buried brick path; I wanted to be somewhere else; anywhere else would do; it sure was hard work.

Meadow now tidy_0006.JPG

At last; absolutely tired out I completed the job.
Meadow now tidy_0007.JPG

A few of the stones I dug out.
Meadow rotavated_0001.JPG

Top meadow rotavated and raked it taking three very hard days to accomplish but it doesn't need doing next month.

Having only just completed this after putting the tools away I came indoors to be greeted by my lovely wife who had more bad news; yet another job demanding attention; the big cotoneaster had pulled away from the bungalow end wall; I'd have screamed but didn't have the energy.

35 years of job after job with no let up; I visited four stores very early this morning and I've still got a full load of meadow debris to run to the tip. Whenever I do get into the studio I find it difficult to practice playing my violins due to stiff finger joints and aching arms.

This coming winter my plan is to spend lots of time in the studio playing my violins and getting used to all the new studio gear my wife has been spoiling me with but also I've bought a very old Howard Bulldog petrol rotavator to fully restore so I'll share studio and workshop time.

Howard Bulldog..JPG

I simply never have time to be bored.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really neat job there Colin. There's something very satisfying about feeling exhausted after a day's hard work, as silly as that may sound.

Do you know what was on the land your house is on, before it was built?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian. I understand what you mean; better to have aching bones through hard work at the end of each day even in retirement than just sitting in front of the TV with little interest in life being bored to death.

Yes the site was a farmers field for dairy I'd guess considering how steep it is; it's not as steep at the very top and I think the farmer must have parked his tractor or other heavy kit up there hence the buried brick and concrete pathway; there was an entrance gateway to our neighbours garden giving access to the field. Considering all the stones I've had the pleasure of digging out it could have made a decent quarry; I've often said I have lots of bad luck; when I started to make the meadow having dug it over twice by spade before the rotavator would touch it I wasn't at all surprised when I did start rotavating for the rotavator to jam solid; the item jamming it was an unlucky big horseshoe.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good work Colin! Does that software add effects to the music too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian. I'm still very much a novice with Audacity and VEED also I need to get used to my new studio recording gear; all these I think can have an impact on my violin sound; the Yamaha amp alone has lots of adjustments allowing huge changes of sound;

1665407896740.png

These Yamaha amps are brilliant for a small studio such as mine and they have many adjustments; I keep playing around with it and at the moment am using "chorus" which sounds pretty good but it takes up so much time; then I have the Enzo synthesizer giving out entirely different sounds which is fun to play with; I've also got the Tascam pocket studio 8 track mixer where I can add any 8 tracks and combine them into one track for playback; I don't yet fully understand its controls so at the moment just use the first track over and over for recording deleting and trying again.

Then Ive got the Beringer interface;

1665408516420.png

I've not had any success with this yet but have had it connected to the studio laptop where the laptop opens up an whole new massive world to get lost in. If I have my Rode condenser mic powered with phantom 48V and switch on my powered monitors (speakers) the speakers go ballistic so I'm now careful of this interference.

It's taken many hours to get my sample violin music from bow to YouTube; what a huge learning curve I've enjoyed learning so many things at once; a violin is very difficult to play but then add on new studio gear too and it really does get interesting; I'm still very much a violin novice but I have progressed at a steady but slow pace now able to play without it sounding terrible and upsetting the neighbours cats.

I'm now trying to make a second audio video to post on YouTube where I'll play both my electric violin and my German 1880 acoustic violin for comparrison which shoud be challenging.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm still struggling to get some decent peaceful studio time; it seems every time I want to play my violins life gets in the way; one day I tried three times in the studio; each time having switched everything on and just being seated starting to play I was immediately called away to answer the phone; it's not improved a lot since then but now I've got a plan.

Sunday I enjoyed twenty minutes violin practice before it was dinner time; after dinner I eagerly looked forward to a rare free afternoon in the studio; once again with everythinf switched on my peace was shattered by five magpies doing a clog dance on the roof just above my head making it impossible to record; I switched everything off and wandered out to our patio to see the magpies take flight; oh how I wished I had a 12 bore shotgun; normally I'm very quite and would never hurt anything at all but all these interferences are driving me mad; I'd lost all enthusiasm so couldn't be bothered starting over again.

After tea I had calmed down so was in the studio at 6 o'clock and once again all set up for recording; with perfect timing I now had very loud explosions as neighbours two doors away were firing huge firework bangers into the sky; by 6:15 I'd had enough so quit the studio the minute I did this the fireworks stopped.

Today I've changed things around a bit; I was in the studio very early this morning and enjoyed an hour long bliss; it was wonderful as I did some recording. This afternoon back into the studio again and 30 minutes enjoyable violin practice then driven out by pounding heavy rain on the roof but at least I've enjoyed two very nice sessions today. I'll try for a third practice this evening.

My plan in future is to practice early mornings when others are away at work but any unwanted noise I've got some very nice earphones so at least in future I can practice in peace with the earphones hooked up to the amp; as to recording I'll no doubt still struggle but if I can practice playing in peace it's a big step in the right direction; I was so near recording a decent practice this afternoon and given a bit more time I think I'd have a decent recording to add to YouTube but it will have to wait.

I've spent hours experimenting with the Yamaha amp but couldn't get the sound I wanted and I know it's down to my lack of experience; hearing the music being played on my shoulder is a lot different to hearing it through recording but then I found someting I'd totally overlooked whilst recording; I was trying all the Yamaha amp controls but totally forgot the Tascam pocket studio controls; boy what a difference now; I'm still expermenting but am happy with progress; I'd love to practice in a well set up studio remote from the world but really I can't complain having the studio of my own I just want some peace which is asking a great deal. I'll stick with it.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Two good violin practices today but just driven out of the studio by loud explosions as firework bangers are being let off. I acheived my dream though today; I wandered into the studio this morning intending to learn more lines of Lara's Theme hoping to play the full song by Christmas; amazingly I played the full song without any problems at all; I already could play half the song from memory but this time rather than spend lots of time memorizing another four notes I decided to have a go at playing directly from my own score;

Laras theme_0001.JPG

I've previously post the method I dreampt up having tried a number of other options until I settled on this method which really does work; the song is typed out in full using font size #22 each word nicely spaced and under each word the string to play and the note; these three pages I've played hundreds of times until I'd memorized them.

Laras Theme_0003.JPG

Having concentrated so hard on the first three pages I found I only had another page to play in order to play the full song; I didn't try to memorize I simply played from the score now finding it so easy to follow; I know the string positions now so if I break down original scores into my method I can play lots of tunes opening up violin playing for me. Better still now I've got this far I feel if I enlarge any song orginial score I should quickly learn to read music so it just gets better and better; it hadn't occurred to me to enlarge music scores so I could see them better and this was holding me back.

I'm now over the moon; all the hassle and huge frustration I've suffered all year trying to get studio time has now faded away with this success. Just over a year ago I'd never touched a violin so here I now am playing Lara's Theme; for my own interest I'll play this last page until I memorize it then I can play the full song from memory; in future I'll simply play from a score because my short term memory is very poor.

My dfream/obssession now achieved leaving me with a truly wonderful hobby that I doubt I'll ever tire of; I love playing my violins and there will always be challenges for me so I'll not become bored.

I restored many vintage radios and a TV over ten years but became so good the challenges were no longer there and I became bored so stopped the restorations seeking new interesting challenges; I can confidently say playing a violin is definitely a challenge.

I'll be pleased when bonfire night is over; why do we celebrate bonfire night anyway because Guy Fawkes made a mess of it but then here in the UK we reward failure with huge bonusses.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question