New front entrance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At last in spite of more problems I set about pouring the self levelling (joke) compound this morning. I fitted a brush handle to the spiked roller and using my big Bosch variable speed drill gently mixed the compound taking a lot of care not to spin the paddle mixer too fast. Last night I treated the concrete to a coat of bonding agent so all was now ready.

This compound is very heavy indeed so this time I split the 20kg mixed pouring half into a clean bucket making it easier to carry up into the porch. I very gently poured the first bucket and used a steel float to spread the compound right into the corners then rolling steadily with the spiked roller; the second bucket was then poured and again gone over with the spiked roller;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spiked-R...015531?hash=item3f958d75ab:g:FggAAOSwnOVamVn9

It took quite a while to clean the mixing tub and bucket etc; the spiked roller I didn't clean but I intend to soak it in a bucket of clean water and if this doesn't clean it I'll pressure wash it next time I uses the pressure washer; I dislike leaving tools dirty.

The spiked roller and treating with bonding agent has made a big difference this time; the concrete still isn't level but with a decent tile adhesive thickness I'm sure laying the tiles should be easier although with my bad luck I'm not holding my breath. The picture below shows the porch floor with just one 20kg bag of compound laid and I didn't want to build up the floor level too high just high enough to allow tiling; one thing I did differently this time was to use a paint brush to feather the compound edge because otherwise it would have an 1/8" high lip at the top of the slope. No bubbles so far unlike the first attempt which was full of bubbles; the spiked roller doing its job?

Calling this compound self levelling to me is wrong it should correctly be called "levelling compound"? I admit I'm a total novice using this compound but got badly caught out with Self Levelling thinking it to be self levelling. Once the compound is poured and dries it's not the best time to find out it isn't level.

As usual my day started badly at 7am as soon as I got out of bed; I switched on the TV hoping to watch an episode of T J Hooker during breakfast but an error message appeared when I tried to open YouTube stating date & time needed setting so 30 highly frustrating minutes later YouTube finally consented to pay us a visit. After breakfast I tried to log onto this forum but my Internet connection was down as was email; my Sony Cybershot camera has died on me; when Internet decided to join me at dinnertime I bought a new camera to arrive tomorrow morning. I spent ages up the top of the mountain planting out primroses all 170 of them; last night when I checked the cats had been helping by digging a number of them up. Silly problems every day to wind me up.

Next job is tiling and I've bought a cheap tile cutter from Screwfix;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/vitrex-manual-tile-cutter-330mm/37944#_=p

I'm impressed with the tile cutter given its very low price; I've not yet used it but it looks a decent bit of kit; I'll update on the tile cutter in due course.

The end is in sight for this porch project and I'll be glad to see the back of it. Once the tiles are laid I'll have a look at the electrics; I've bought two big coach lamps to restore and the door chime needs its push button moving; jobs are never ending but although I moan I'm never ever bored.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Out of curiosity I decided to try the new tile cutter yesterday cutting five 13" floor tiles and I'm impressed by how easy it was; no breakages so far.

I've just returned from a timber yard in Huddersfield without timber; I wanted two 5' lengths of 2"x2" to use as a guide for tiling but I couldn't find two straight lengths; the 3"x2" were just as bad; this modern timber is rubbish.

Time I got my thinking cap on and be creative.

Kind regards, Colin.

Tile cutting_001.JPG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to hear this attempt was more successful :D.

The picture below shows the porch floor with just one 20kg bag of compound laid
I couldn't see the image at this end, Colin - unless its the one with the tiles already laid? I'd really like to see what it was like before they went down, if you happened to take one :).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for asking Ian and I'm sorry if I've confused you so here's today's update. :)

The picture in post #23 shows the self levelling compound marked out for tile but no tiles yet laid. I'll include
a better picture below of the compound. The bare patch of concrete is the top of the slope and I didn't want to raise the floor level too much so only added just enough compound to get rid of the slope.

This morning I was determined to lay the six middle full sized tiles and I had declared all out war on this nothing but problem porch job. I don't get along at all with self levelling compound; if its me at fault I no longer care I dislike using the stuff. First job was a trip to our local timber yard; I wanted two 5' lengths of dead straight and true timber; I returned home without because these days dead straight true timber no longer exists at timber yards so I needed a plan "B".

Being a mechanical engineer I thought if timber doesn't want to play then metal will? I pulled out two suitable lengths of 2" x 2" heavy angle iron and yes these were straight without cupping; twisting; warping; bowing or loose knots so I'm in with a chance at last. I needed two short lengths to hold these apart at the correct distance and at first considered timber I had to hand but I'm sulking when it comes to timber then I wondered if my short home made sash cramps would be suitable these too heavy angle iron; yes they were just long enough so I removed the adjustable stops and adjusting screws.

This angle iron is heavy to play around with but at least it wouldn't need securing to the concrete. A rectangle was made using the four lengths of angle iron clamped very tightly at each corner; the tiles are 13" square so the distance was twice this plus 4mm for the spacers measured very carefully indeed and tested by placing tiles between them; enough has already gone wrong at every opportunity so now I'm being ultra careful because gremlins are at work. One of the long lengths of angle iron sat nice and level but due to self levelling compound not self levelling I had to pack up the second long length of angle iron ensuring both lengths were now true to the spirit level.

With the self levelling compound being so far out I intended to use the method shown in the excellent video above; I've used this method many years ago whilst plastering between wooden frames using the frames as guides so I know it works; with the angle iron gauging frame in position I needed a long adhesive spreading comb and these don't appear available at least not on eBay when I searched so I made my own bespoke comb. I had a suitable length of galvanized strip steel it being 3" wide and 29" long; longer would have been better but this would do at a pinch. Now notches needed cutting so what was my best option; I could use the angle grinder with a wide grinding disk installed but I didn't fancy listening to the grinder or having to don lots of safety kit; in the end I simply drew a line using a black Sharpie at just over 6mm along one edge this being the depth marker for the "V" cuts; it was a tedious job but my heavy snips made light work of cutting out the notches; I used a 4" combination square to mark the notches at 45 degrees which looked OK. Again I took a lot of care in cutting the notches otherwise accuracy of laying the adhesive would be lost. The ends were bent in the big engineers vice tapping over with an hammer; the pictures explain better but I made this long comb in less time than it would take to get one even if one was available. A strengthening piece of timber was added having drilled clearance holes in the comb to allow 16mm wood screws through. Now it was looking good and I knocked off for dinner.

After dinner I set about mixing tile adhesive in a plastic bucket adding water first then pouring in the adhesive powder which created a small fog; a wooden stick was used for mixing; this isn't the best method and I have a paddle mixer but the warning on the adhesive bag advised swift working especially for a novice because this adhesive is rapid setting; I didn't want my paddle to be messed up with rock hard adhesive whilst I laid the tiles; being new to floor tiling one problem I had was judging the amount of adhesive to mix for six of these tiles; I guessed at one and a half litres of water adding adhesive powder until I thought the mix was just right then the panic as I shot up into the bungalow to get the tiles laid before the adhesive started to set; once the adhesive starts to set it mustn't be reactivated by adding more water which seriously weakens it; I was a bit short of adhesive so in a panic I mixed more and at last the six main tiles were laid.

Working in such a confined space proved very difficult indeed; had I been a ballet dancer I think it would have been easier; I thought if I could lay these six tiles and let the adhesive fully set then I would have a better chance of laying the perimeter tiles each of which needs cutting? I'll have a go laying the perimeter tiles tomorrow allowing the adhesive on these six tiles to fully set before I walk on them because although the instructions state the tiles can be walked on after three hours I no longer believe anything. One thing is for certain; this adhesive is definitely rapid setting and and I quickly found this out as I cleaned the tools and angle iron. With the angle iron frame removed I used a bucket of clean water with washing up liquid added to wipe over the tiles so now I'm all set up for tomorrow.

All this seems very long winded but then I'm a novice at floor tiling so I've added all the problems I've encountered and explained how I got around not being able to buy a long adhesive comb; here are up to date pictures.

Kind regards, Colin.

Second attempt_001.JPG

A better picture of the self levelling compound; its deepest nearest the spirit level tapering to zero where the concrete is seen; the angle iron frame is being used as a depth gauge doing the job that the self levelling compound should have done.

Tile job_002.JPG
Tile job_003.JPG

I couldn't buy a long adhesive comb but this didn't stop me; I made my own costing nothing.

Tile job_004.JPG

I ensured every small triangle cut out went into the bin and not into the Yeti's tyres.

Tile job_005.JPG

The long adhesive comb in position ready for spreading adhesive.

Tile job_007.JPG

Just six floor tiles causing so much hassle and work but now fully laid; perimeter tiles to be cut and laid tomorrow all being well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A quick update this morning. I've just cut the perimeter tiles and loosely put them in position to check for fit before adding the adhesive. The Screwfix cheap tile cutter worked like a dream. I broke one tile due to my ignorance; the tile only needed just over an inch strip removing; it scored easily enough but the cut being so near the edge I wondered if trying to snap it from the middle would be better; I wonder no longer because no it certainly doesn't work; the tile broke across its middle; snapping from near the end of the scribe certainly works though and I learned a lesson. The walls are random stone and I'd no intention of trying to obtain a perfect grout line; I simply cut the tiles straight saving lots of time and trouble; the coloured grout will finish the job. The tile colour matches the paintwork nicely.

Now for the adhesive; I'm in for more fun.

Kind regards, Colin.

Tiles cut_001.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not being used to grouting it's taken most of today to grout these few tiles; the biggest mistake I made was to mix the grout too wet; the next big mistake was to try using the old sponge I've used for car washing to clean the tiles after grouting expecting the grout to simply wipe away as easily as I see it done on YouTube; it wasn't behaving because I'd forgotten about the sponge retaining car shampoo ending up with a bucket of suds but as usual I learn the hard way; a fresh bucket of cold water and brand new sponge sorted it out. I've just given the tiles a third wash with clean water and at last this front entrance project is a success it now being finished and I can walk away from it.

Tomorrow I'll hang pictures then start on the electrics adding lights and sorting out the door chime; Bron is delighted saying its brilliant so I'm now pleased and can stop moaning about all the things that wound me up as work progressed. :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

Porch finished_001.JPG

Grouted and drying; tiles looking good after a third wash with clean water. Job finished.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

https://diytilingtools.com/product/complete-floor-tiling-kit/

https://diytilingtools.com/about-us/

I left a comment on Roy's YouTube video explaining I had searched for the adhesive spreading tool without success and Roy kindly replied giving me details where to buy them but a quick look it appears Roy lives in Australia; living here in the UK the job could be done whilst awaiting delivery as I've just demonstrated; I used 6mm notches whereas checking Roy's instructions his are 10mm; I don't think it makes any difference because the beads go down perfectly level.

Below is a picture of the adhesive spreading tools I made; I made the tool long enough to lay 26" wide adhesive this being two tiles width; once the full sized tiles were laid I then cut the tool to suit the perimeter tiles.

The idea of laying adhesive like this is excellent; I used a similar method over twenty years ago when I framed one of our extension rooms which Bron now uses as her crafting studio; I installed the heavy wooden framework then as in the tiling video I used the frames for gauging the plaster; I used a lot of plaster because the wall is random stone and it worked out brilliantly as seen in the picture; this studio is to the rear of our bungalow and its such a peaceful place to be away from all the troubles in the world. The timber framework in the studio is 4" x 2"
sawn timber; I selected the roughest timber in the timberyard and it had been outside for many years giving the rustic look I was after; the whole job cost very little but it did take a lot of time and effort; I'm not a plasterer but by using the framework for gauging the result speaks for itself.

I've still got small jobs to do regarding the new porch and want to complete the job before winter sets in.

Kind regards, Colin.
Spreaders_002.JPG

Two home made adhesive spreaders costing me nothing being made of offcuts. Short lengths of 2" x 1" timber and an offcut of galvanized steel sheet.

Studio_001.JPG

Bron's crafting studio.

Studio 1_001.JPG

I've used this same room as a workshop making lots of furniture and woodturning.

Studio 1_002.JPG

I also spent ten years in the same room restoring vintage valve radios where it was crammed with radios and test equipment. Now our car sleeps out I use the garage as my workshop so Bron now has a wonderful studio to work in.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A good job done :D. I bet you're glad it's finished now!

My mistake on the photo, I replied on my phone at the time and mistook the scoring for tiles. I've got no choice but to use self-leveling compound for a project next year, so I'm going to have a re-read of this thread before I start the job and make sure I learn from it. It's a big floor area, so it should make the job easier to work in (I hope!).

BTW, I like the old photo of the old radio room!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian; yes I'm delighted to see the back of this job at last; I hung a couple of pictures on the walls today and Bron has put a big vase of silk flowers in a corner on the floor; the electrics aren't important so I can ease back a bit.

If you've got a big area to cover with self levelling compound then I think you'll not only need a spiked roller but spiked shoes allowing you to walk around in the wet compound; I didn't have the luxury of such space having to balance on only six tiles; it's a job I wouldn't want to do twice?

Above is a video I watched and near the end the guy says everybody was happy; I'm totally unimpressed by self levelling compound because it certainly doesn't self level for me. Would you be happy to end up with a floor like they ended up with.

Please be very careful mixing grout; it takes very little water; my grouting looked a mess but I struggled through; I know I was on a steep learning curve but if only one thing had gone right.

Today Bron and I have suffered two unauthorized withdrawal large amounts from our account; fortunately I check our accounts daily so both were still "Pending"; it took half an hour on the phone to get it sorted and I think everything is now OK; it might take a few days to see these details disappear and a new card is now issued; I'm usually a polite and gently guy but I wish whomever used my details the next time they used them something really nasty could befall them because they should be in landfill not amongst decent people; there's no let up with our bad luck but bring it on we'll keep fighting.

Good luck Ian when you tackle your self levelling job. Let me know when you intend to start and I'll keep my head down. :):):):D

I enjoyed my ten years with vintage radio restoration as my hobby; the radio shack evolved as I gathered more radios and test equipment; I could restore both the chassis and the cabinet in fact I made all the mistakes possible whilst learning French Polishing and Veneering from scratch. Veneering was very difficult to grasp until I realized both sides of the veneer needed to be wet otherwise the veneer curled up in disgust; as I say I suffer constant bad luck and I'm out of timing with the world; I suffered just about every mistake to be made whilst learning veneering then straight away I found this following absolutely brilliant veneering tutorial on YouTube;

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear about the bank problems, Colin - I hope you got that sorted ok!

It'll be a good few months (probably Spring) before I tackle the flooring job, so I've got some time to read up in the meantime :). Hopefully your experience will mean I've picked up a few tips and skipped some of the problems that could happen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian; the bank problem isn't yet resolved but should be in the next few days; criminals have an easy time of it here in the UK with so many do gooders and charities looking after them; who looks after the victims?

The above video shows my preferred method of floor levelling; I did a similar job at our previous house when I removed a wall leaving two floors to bring to the same height; once the job was completed it was perfectly level but then it wasn't classed as "Self levelling" I've only ever used self levelling compound on this new front entrance and I don't like it at all.

If you've got a big floor to level how about getting the estate agents in. ;)

Kind regards, Colin,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A quick follow up for anyone worried about contactless cards being hacked. I've just bought four special wallets costing very little indeed to protect our cards;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RFID-Con...445480?hash=item3b1c55a5a8:g:QXgAAOSwcp1boYVA

I can't understand why banks don't issue a new wallet of this kind when a new contactless card is issued; we've now got one of the unauthorized payments sorted out and hopefully the second unauthorized payment will be sorted out shortly but it's the inconvenience and stress it causes which is equally as important as having our account exposed to criminal activity.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question