Need to cut a tile to install a shower screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I need to install a shower screen, but there is a slight problem. I have border tiles and need to cut these so the screen is flush with the tiles. Can someone please reccomend an easy way to remove a part of the tile without causing any problems, i.e breaking the tile.

I have attached a picture.

Many thanks
2.jpg

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

The tile will only be adhered with tile cement.

You could go at it with an angle grinder to cut a grove to accommodate the side of the shower, but I wouldn't recommmend that.

I'd first run a Stanley knife blade along the cement yoyu can see between the border tile and the wall tile. Top and bottom.
There's quite a gap between the two border tiles that form the angle. You could try scraping out the tile cement between them so that you can lever out the tile with a screwdriver. But put a towel or something between the screwdriver blade and the edge of the tile on the right. It shouldn't need a lot of force.
The worse that could happen is that you would break one tile, which are easily replace.

If you haven't a tile cutter, you could probably then cut a section out of the tile with a hacksaw or similar on a flat surface..

Ask a Question