Nasty problem with architrave above door

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi, now….. must first explain, I know very little about carpentry. I have just bought apartment and want to start decorating asap. 3 doors in apartment have ridiculous and ugly contraption fitted to doors and frames for doors to close gently. I want to remove them. However, as shown in photos one part is inserted and screwed in under architrave, above the door. I am hoping there is a way to remove just the architrave above door only, without removing side architrave. Every video I’ve seen only shows removing all the frame. The question is can I just remove section above door, if so could you please advise procedure very simply. Many thanks…..

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi. Thanks for your reply. The screws are under the architrave and can’t get to them without removing architrave first. I’m hoping to remove just the top panel without removing sides. Looking for advice on how to remove just top panel of architrave, causing as little damage as possible. Many many thanks. Sue

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you want to remove the whole piece (architrave) of wood above the door (mounted to the header), you'd have to get a small pry bar under the architrave and start gently prying the wood up-and-off. Naturally, some plaster board (and it's plaster) is going to crack and require replacement/repair.

Personally, I would think removing only a small portion (as per the earlier picture) would be easier and less work to repair.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thanks. Re read your post now. Misread it earlier apologies. Yep cutting that part out would certainly be easier. Can you suggest what tool I would use to cut that piece out please. I know you’d wonder wouldn’t ya . I really appreciate your help. Sue

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, if you don't want to invest in a small power tool, there are two hand tools that will do the job for you.
1) Jamb saw.
2) Chisel and hammer

JAMB SAW PICTURE:
1650982065718.png

A jamb saw is meant to cut wood, not steel. It can cut (with small strokes, approx 1" back-and-forth) enough material on your door frame (architrave) to chisel out the remaining slug of wood. It will go slow to do this, you'll have to be patient. Do 5 minutes, rest your arms, do another 5 minutes.

CHISEL and HAMMER:

1650982296124.png

I would get a chisel with a 1/2" (12mm) wide cutting edge. Hammer is self explanatory.

PROCEDURE:

Cut a vertical line only with the Jamb Saw (see picture).
Now the piece of wood still yet concealing the screws is compromised (strength is fractured). Use the chisel and hammer to start "chipping" away bit-by-bit of the remaining wood until the screw's head is visible. Sweep the floor, call me, and I'll fly out to ensure you swept the floor well enough. :)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thanks so much for your advice. One yucky hook gone, two to go. I borrowed an electric tiny saw thing and managed to cut the wood away and yes used chisel to prize it out. It isn’t too clean but not bad for first attempt (no not sending photo ). Filling it should be amusing. I’m a modern woman vacuum all the way . Thanks again. Kindest regards. Sue

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Your welcome. When you go to filling the void, you can tell me what you've planned. I might offer some help to ease the job.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Many thanks. Can’t do any decorating for next few days but when I get to filling the architrave, got a sneaky feeling some advice would go a looong way. Sue

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Your Welcome. If you want to let me know when your ready.

Good Luck!

Ask a Question