My mistake with cork tiles

Reaction score
A few years ago I floored the bathroom with cork tiles. Because the original wood boards in this old house were far too uneven to lay the tiles direct, I first covered the floor with hardboard & glued the tiles to it. Seemed to work well.
Now, the floor creaks like anything when you walk on it (loudest if you have to get up in the middle of the night!). I'd like to take it up -- and do the cork tiles again (they're apparently right out of fashion, but you can still get them in the UK at Wickes).
Any idea please what to use as board to stick the tiles to, and perhaps an underlay to stop the creaking? Thanks for ideas!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Use hardboard again, but just make sure you nail it down properly. Choosing a slightly thicker sheet of hardboard should help reduce the chance of creaking (have you checked to see if it is the floorboards underneath creaking?)

Lining a floor with hardboard

Ask a Question