Must central heating system be flushed clean before adding inhibitor?

Reaction score
My combi boiler was installed 9 years ago and the system was thoroughly flushed and cleaned out and inhibitor added at that time. The boiler has been regularly serviced by British Gas annually since then.

Then recently, during building works, one of the boilers was taken down for a couple of months while decorating work was done, and now I want it put back again, but in a different position. A plumber told me that he cannot add the inhibitor until the entire system has been flushed clean again.

Can anyone advise me please:-

1) shouldn't the system already be clean? It was cleaned when new boiler was originally put in and has been regularly serviced by British gas since then. Hasn't the inhibitor already in the system kept the system clean and free of sludge?

2) The plumber told me that sludge is introduced into the system when copper pipes are soldered during putting back the radiator, and therefore must be flushed again. Is this correct?

Ask a Question