Moving light switch around a corner

Reaction score
Hello DIY Forums,

I am moving a light switch about 1 meter from its current position, however I need to round a corner while doing so. Wiring isn't a problem, but I need to cut a channel horizontally from the existing switch and then round a corner of a solid wall.

My problem is what I'll hit when I get to the corner (an outward corner, not inward like in a 4 corner room, if that makes sense). Am I likely to hit metal beading, if so, what would be the best practice to channel around the corner - should I just cut right through it and then make good?

David

Reaction score
Hi David

Any angle bead is only there to provide a nice neat corner, it has no structural purpose, so cut as required. BUT I am concerned that your horizontal run may not be in the safe zones permitted
You say wiring is not a problem, so I assume you are familiar with all regulations concerned.

Reaction score
Thank you JohnKay,

I'm aiming to drill at an angle either side of the corner, so I can maintain the beading edge for a neat finish. The cable I'm running is actually network cable, as that is what the light switch uses (stupidly fancy automated lighting system, not my idea!), so it's extra low voltage. Would that cause problems with the regs?

Ask a Question