Moving appliances to shed

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently moved into a private rented accomodation, the landlord has fitted about 15 cupboards but only one appliance space!

I have a washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher to fit in!

There is a shed with electricity in the back garden, behind the shed is a deep gutter with a drain. I have been given permission by the landlord to be able to install my washing machine and tumble dryer into the shed and have the dishwasher in the kitchen.

Now, I am quite good at DIY but plumbing isn't my strong point. I know I should really hire someone to do this but to be honest, I don't have the money at the moment.

How would I go about installing the washing machine and tumble dryer into the shed? The shed is right beside where the current washing machine fittings are in the house. There is only a small 1 meter walkway between the two, however there is an arch with current piping that I could use to somehow box in any piping etc...

I also need to make it so that if we decide to move, the old piping can be reinstalled with no hassles.

Here is a diagram of the back garden:
fittings.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is the drain you intend to use a soil drain or fresh water only (possibly running into a brook) if it's a soil drain it's ok.
If your machine is cold fill only you will only need a cold pipe.
Best way would be to run a alkathene (plastic pipe but suitable for cold water only and ok under ground) and pipe it under ground from the kitchen to prevent freezing if this is not possible or if you do need a hot supply as well I would run the pipes through the arch in plastic speed fit (ok for hot and cold above ground ) John guest also do an equivalent pipe.

If possible run pipe from start to finish in one length, it comes in coils as well as straight lengths. and make sure it is very well lagged outside.
It would be good to fix shut off valves in the kitchen and a drain points low down to isolate and drain both pipes if necessary.
And check that the electricity point in the shed is rated high enough to run a washing machine and tumble dryer at once.
Some thing to think about.
Pete

Reaction score
Moving appliances

There is a method of connecting an outlet to Copper pipework , it is a Clamp- on attachment that pierces the Pipe allowing connecting Hoses. Is this information any help,

Handydanny

Ask a Question