More than one way to wire a Ceiling Rose?

Reaction score
Hi there,

We bought a new light fitting and I made the mistake of not taking a proper note of how the old fitting was wired.

There are two twin & earth cables coming through the celiing. I'm assuming from this (maybe wrongly) that this is the last light on the circuit. I've wire this as I think right, the two live (brown) in the center loop terminals, one neutral going to the flex live and one neutral going to the flex neutral, the two earths are connected as this is a double isolated fitting and as such doesn't have an earth. I've tested and this works, well the light goes on and off with the switch as required.

My question to you is, can this work and still be wired wrongly? I was going to switch the live and neutral of the flex over to test but thought better of it. If it is wired wrongly I'm guessing it could be a fire risk etc? Or is this a case that it will only light if wired correctly and it won't work other wise and there is only one way to wire it?

The moral of the story is, take a pic on your phone before charging in, lesson learnt (again!)

Many thanks

Phil

Reaction score
No, I think you have wire it correctly, pretty sure it wouldn't work otherwise.

You could just have a quick look at one of the other lights in your house, and check that you have wired it in the right way.

Reaction score
You are correct in thinking that this is the last light on the circuit (otherwise you would have 3 twin & earth cables) in a normal loop in system, and yes you have wired the cables correctly, there should however have been a red covering either tape or sleeving to denote that one of the neutral cables would become live when the switch is on this would be called the switch line

Reaction score
Wire It correctly. I advice to make a wiring diagram first, this will serve as a blue print of your wiring to your light. So you have a guide to follow wiring your home is very crucial since a mistake can cause fire.

Ask a Question