LVP over Hardwood without Creaking

Reaction score
Country
United States
I Need a reality check. I would like to install LVP over existing hardwood flooring. However, the hardwood flooring creaks and squeaks (worse in the summer). So I want to know if driving 3" decking screws through the hardwood, the subfloor and into the joist (every 4-8" or so along the joist) is a good or bad idea to eliminate creaking/squeaking. The extra 1/4" of thickness from the LVP on top will be perfectly acceptable and also preferable height-wise, so that is not an issue. I also figured I would drive a 1-5/8" screw through the center of each and every 12-18" long hardwood piece in high traffic areas so that they are more attached to the subfloor everywhere in between the joists as well. Then I would completely work baby powder into the entire floor, before installing over.

I figure this would save me time and money, since I would need to remove the hardwood, then lay 3/4" of additional sub-flooring to bring the height back up to where it is and where I want it to be. The existing subfloor seems to be 1.5" thick at the register vent, and there is only 1 location where the creak seems like flexion over a loose nail, I think the rest of the noise are the individual hardwood pieces rubbing together, but I want to be as thorough as possible and never hear a creak again. I would even consider installing hardiebacker over the entire floor to make it as rigid and noiseless as possible.

Love to hear your thoughts!

Ask a Question