Lines appearing behind newly painted lining paper!!

Reaction score
Please help this poor novice!

I have just bought my first home, a ground floor flat in a house built circa 1800s. The outside of the building was updated last year (therefore I don't think it is a damp problem) and all the walls have lining paper.

I have speant the last week painting all the rooms with Dulux trade matt emulsion and used pollyfiller quick dry for any cracks / filling holes from previous shelves.

The lining paper was pretty much flawless (or as flawless as it can be) with only a little wrinkling in one corner and only a few lines showing. However now I have painted it I have begun to notice lines appearing behind the lining paper, wiggly lines, mostly running horizontally across parts of the wall.

I don't know why this is happening as they weren't there before (the lining paper was
already painted) but the are hard to the touch. Has the paint reacted with the lining paper? Are they likely to disappear over time? Does anyone have a solution about how to prevent / fix them?

I first noticed them about 6/7 days after I painted.

Thank you x

Ask a Question