Leaking bathroom radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone give me some advice?

I have discovered exactly where the water is dripping from, it is coming from where the arrow is pointing too on my bathroom rad. All other valves are dry. What is that part called that the red arrow is pointing to do you know? When I turn that part with my hands (which I think turns rad on and off) lots of water drips out. When I do not turn it, it drips every mins or two.

Is it something that a total amature can fix? If so how? Does this part even come off? I tightened the other valves but made no difference, still leaking from that same place.
please see pic.

I dont even need this towel rad, which I could just turn it off so it wont leak.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, do I need to do anything with the other radiators in my house in order to drain down central heating system? Hope not

Reaction score
We're not working with a lot of information here.

But try this first.

If that doesn't work, try this without draining down the system, but it could get messy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK I took cap off and saw where it was leaking. I removed the screw and put in some PTFE tape and tightened it back up again. Do you think this will work?

Plz see pics

[IMG]

[IMG]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK still leaking from point 1 and the arrow below. Ive been advised to do the following, would you all agree?

Leak is coming from inside the chrome body, so I have been told where I need the tape is not visible from the outside of the valve,it's inside the chrome body. I need to take out the nut completely then I will see down inside the chrome body ,and where the spindle disappears into the gland. That's where the PTFE tape needs to be. Do you agree? Dont see how I can actually wrap the tape around anything as its inside, will prob have to just poke it right down as far as it will goI I did put PTFE tape on one part as you can see from pic, but its still leaking in part 1 and/or part 1B from the picture attached.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a tradesman out and he said that it needed a new valve fitted. He said the system will need to be drained via a radiator. Does he need to do something with all the radiators or check all the radiators in order to drain the system?

Will he need to turn water off also?

Thanks

Reaction score
I did link a video where someone changed the valve without draining the system.

I didn't watch it all. But he did it by removing the valve and keeping his finger over the exposed pipe.

Reaction score
Looks horrible.
A radiator valve is just like a tap, old-fashioned type.
If it has an old-fashioned gland, where they usually leak, with care, you can unscrew the gland nut and wrap some thick (gas grade) PTFE tape around the stem, without any draining. Note the "with care".
If it has "O" rings, you might be stuffed.
No need to drain it all down, simply get a freezing kit and freeze the pipe below the valve.
Have everything ready to whip the valve off and replace with a new one.
Pipe freezing is my method of choice now.
If I were you, I would do both valves.
While you have the radiator off, give it a good flushing out.

Ask a Question