Leaking Bath Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. First Post, looking for a little advice please.

I got home last night to find water dripping out of 2 spotlights in my kitchen. I went upstairs to the bathroom directly above and found the shower had been dropping all day. I took the side of the bath off to see the wall immediately behind the taps of the bath saturated and crumbling and the copper pipes showing signs of corrosion. I literally prodded the wall with my pinky and it went straight through. I took all the old silicone off the bath last night and resealed all around the bath but there still seems to be some water seeping down behind the bath. Looks like it's dripping out of the tap gasket or something maybe.
My question is.....how big a job is this likely to be to fix? I'm a confident DIY'er but removing the bath and reboarding the wall is over my head. Do you think it's worth ringing the home insurance? Photo behind the bath attached

Attachments

Reaction score
If you can remove the tub to fix the plumbing it should be quite easy. I assume you don’t have an access panel in the next room? I would replace all the water lines rather than just patch the leak.

Reaction score
As you mentioned, check with your insurers first.

A friend had an old boiler system, with a tank in the loft, unknown the tank developed a small leak three months ago, which eventually saturated the whole of the top floor. The drying out with dehumidifiers running 24/7 for a week, repairs and replacement of damaged carpets and decorations came to over £10,000.

All covered by insurance.

Ask a Question