Kitchen double sink wont drain. Tried to snake everywhere

Reaction score
Country
United States
I took apart the pipes under the sink and made sure all traps were not clogged. Then I put a 25 ft snake down the drain in the wall and reassembled...didn't do anything.

Then I went downstairs to another area to snake deeper in the pipe, and no water came out of the pipe when I unscrewed the access area, which made me think the clog wasn't that deep..Snaked it anyway and it did nothing... So I then cut the pipe in the middle of the two areas I snaked, incase the clog was somehow in the middle of the two areas I snaked....and snaked both directions, which didn't solve anything. Sink still wont drain at all. At this point I'm very confident that the entire pipe has been augered.... So Then I went to my roof and snaked all my plumbing vents...still nothing. What do I do..?!!

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a bathroom drain. I cured it by poking a hose up from the other end and flushing it out as I pushed it up. Congealed shampoo etc. was the problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Try a good dose of caustic soda - sodium hydroxide. I think you call it lye. The proper stuff, for which gloves, long sleeves, and goggles really are mandatory, not the wimpy stuff they sell in supermarkets.

Reaction score
25-feet? That's quite a long run if it's 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" waste, especially if there are no access points.

If you could a get wireman's tape to go right the way through the longest runs, you might be able to pull a STRONG cord through.

You could attach a sponge or a bottle brush to the cord then pull it through, pulling another cord for safety.

You can use caustic soda, but it only really works with grease and won't shift any calcium scaling. It's also only effective if it stays in contact with with the crud for a decent length of time. It's OK in traps, but not in long vertical pipes.

For a vertical pipe, you would need to plug one end of the pipe and fill it with caustic solution.

It's too dangerous in my opinion and can do you and anything else a lot of damage. If you really want to feel your skin turning to soap, that's the stuff.

If you do use it, as He who knows says, safety gear, and mix it the same way as concentrated sulphuric acid, small amounts to lots of water, not the other way round.

You have checked the sink tail? It's only a blockage, so it's got to be there somewhere. Persevere.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I took apart the pipes under the sink and made sure all traps were not clogged. Then I put a 25 ft snake down the drain in the wall and reassembled...didn't do anything.

Then I went downstairs to another area to snake deeper in the pipe, and no water came out of the pipe when I unscrewed the access area, which made me think the clog wasn't that deep..Snaked it anyway and it did nothing... So I then cut the pipe in the middle of the two areas I snaked, incase the clog was somehow in the middle of the two areas I snaked....and snaked both directions, which didn't solve anything. Sink still wont drain at all. At this point I'm very confident that the entire pipe has been augered.... So Then I went to my roof and snaked all my plumbing vents...still nothing. What do I do..?!!
I have a 30 ft long run from my kitchen sink to the main sewer line under my house. Because of the long run grease and debris sometimes clog the 1 1/2" pipe, because the grease cools and sticks to the pipe. A drain blaster always works to clear the drain. They are available from most home supply stores.

Here is a link to one that I found on Amazon:

Drain King 186 Bathroom Sinks, Showers, and Swimming Pool Drains, 1.5 to 3 Inch
Price: $11.29

Drain lines have vents that go to the roof. You have to make sure that there are no vents between the blaster and the clog, or the water will just go up the vent and overflow onto the roof. If you can't get past all of the vents with the blaster, you can plug vents with a pressure test plug (also available at home supply stores).

Attachments

Reaction score
It would help if the poster put up some photos of the sink and any pipework.
Or even a rough sketch.
I'm intrigued by what is meant by putting a 25ft snake (snake = long coiled spring type drain cleaner, similar to a wiremans tape or cable puller) down the drain in the wall.
Does this mean the drain pipe is inside the wall or goes through the wall?
I can only speak for UK practice, but a kitchen sink waste, assuming ground floor, would go to a trapped gulley outside the house, then join the underground waste water pipework. There would be at least one vent pipe, usually 4" to 6" diameter that goes up the side of the house or through the roof.
Bathroom wastes often connect into the vent pipe. The logic is that kitchen wastes are more likely to block and need better access for inevitable cleaning.
Where did the snake emerge or did it just follow the pipework into the sewer?
Ant siphon traps can be tricky to clean.
The only way the poster is going to this is by tracing the waste system from sink to sewer and check each section.

Ask a Question