Kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I painted my kitchen cabinets using a cabinet paint from B&Q (own brand) but the paint has chipped off around the high-touch areas, so I want to re-do them. I have since learned that I should have either varnished or lacquered over the paint. My questions are: if I but rustoleum cabinet paint, what is the best varnish/lacquer option OR is it an option to just go for gloss paint?

Reaction score
It's all in the preparation. Whatever paint you use it needs to grip to the surface.
Most kitchen cabinets have laminated surfaces, which are quite shiny. They will also pick up a lot of grease from the air.

So ideally you should have degreased the surfaces and then given them a bit of a rub down with some fine grit sandpaper.
You're now presented with a problem, if there wasn't enough preparation.
I'd rubdown the offending areas well and if the rest look OK, give them a bit of a rub down to give paint a key, then repaint the lot with a gloss paint.

Reaction score
Hi,
It’s time to say goodbye to monotonous kitchens and welcome the mixing and matching of hues for contrast. Gone are the days when homeowners embraced the look and feel of a single-hued kitchen, considering them as ‘timeless’ and ‘sophisticated.’ With the latest trends and designs, there’s nothing more visually exciting and appealing than a two-toned kitchen that adds a sense of drama and contrast to your space.

What is a two-toned kitchen, and how are the two tones playing a role? Well, it’s about visually painting your kitchen cabinets in two different colours (upper and lower). Generally, it’s ideal to choose a lighter tone for the upper cabinets and a darker tone for the lower cabinets. However, there’s no hard and fast rule. Get the best advice from My Home Handyman and use their services as I took already.

Ask a Question