Remove kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am trying to remove kitchen cabinets from the wall. They are attached as shown in the photos - one screw at the front and one screw below. When I turn the screws anti clockwise they loosen as expected, but then start tightening again (even though I’m still turning anti clockwise).

Does anyone know how I remove the screws, or know what this mechanism is called so I can google it?

Many thanks.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United States
They might be cam lock type fastener. Loosen but don't go far enough that they tighten again. Then try to wiggle the cabinet loose.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Loosen the top one a little (neither of them need removing), and then, pushing the cabinet toward the wall, lift it and it will come loose from a bracket on the wall. These are used with Ikea units before 2005.
ae235.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you both. I had no idea cabinets could be hooked onto a wall! They are now off and disassembled!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They were great for diy kitchen builders. Why Ikea abandoned them I have no idea.

ColinA

Reaction score
Country
United States
I my opinion it's a very poor method of attachment. You're asking a bracket to hold another bracket to hold a cabinet full of dishes. A direct screw from cabinet frame to 2 x 4 stud is the best.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I my opinion it's a very poor method of attachment. You're asking a bracket to hold another bracket to hold a cabinet full of dishes. A direct screw from cabinet frame to 2 x 4 stud is the best.
I only go by personal experience. A kitchen I put together in 1983 in a house in Germany is still secure and holding weighty items. They were Ikea units.

ColinA

Reaction score
Country
United States
They were great for diy kitchen builders. Why Ikea abandoned them I have no idea.

ColinA
With all due respect to Camallison, maybe because they are not as reliable as expected? Besides what could be easer than screwing directly through the frame into a stud? Absolutely secured. And you don't necessarily need to be exact with your measurements as long as you hit that stud. I also add extra support into the ceiling joist when possible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With all due respect to Camallison, maybe because they are not as reliable as expected? Besides what could be easer than screwing directly through the frame into a stud? Absolutely secured. And you don't necessarily need to be exact with your measurements as long as you hit that stud. I also add extra support into the ceiling joist when possible.
In Europe it is quite rare to have kitchen wall cabinets mounted on stud walls. In fact, most walls until recently are solid brick or blockwork. Hence, Ikea being a Swedish firm initially supplying only the European and Scandinavian markets, supplying fixings for solid walls. A batten fixed to the wall would have necessitated a cutout in the cabinet carcass with a step in the back to miss the batten. Only in the last 10 to 15 years have Ikea changed to a long shaped metal strip fastened to the wall, regardless of wall type, and then use a similar fitting as before, to fasten the cabinet to it.

Their designs are specifically for the home handyman to be able to fit them themselves. In fact, Ikea and others in Europe get over 75% of their business from the diy market. Professionally supplied and installed kitchen units also use similar fittings. The reason is that one man can put the cabinets up alone, only needing to hook the fitting over the part attached to the wall. Then, the 2 screws in the fitting come into play. One to tighten the cabinet against the wall and firmly hold it there. The other screw is to move the cabinet up and down, each side independently to true up the cabinet vertically.

So, it seems US practice and European practice are quite different to suit building construction type and level of training/capability of the person fitting them.

ColinA

Ask a Question