Jukebox Renovation

Reaction score
I bought this 1969 model from a woman in Newcastle about ten years ago.

It was in a pretty sorry state cosmetically. (orginal e-bay photo)

Rock-Ola 443.jpg

It needed a good clean inside out and a service. It was a bit slow through lack of use.

The record card insert had faded (that round thing)

One of the lights were missing.

There was a crack in the removable black grill at the bottom and the graphic had faded.
It was a mess, (rear view)

The records included "weren't to my taste." I started collecting more to add to the few I already had.

P1020600.JPG

i bought a new old stock jacket card insert from Victory Glass in the USA who hold all the Rock-Ola spares. At the time they had only seven left.

I repaired the non-working third light. But the graphic was a problem as these were then made of "unobtainium" as we say "in the business."

I eventually resolved it by buying a selecton of A4 coloured acetate and some frosted opaque one, layering the sheets to get the graded colour transition.

The title cards can be printed off in different styles and colours by downloading a pro-forma pdf from an enthiusiasts' site, though I've since downloaded a free programme to do the same job, in case they go down the "unobtainium," route.

Job sorted. It's probably worth more than twice what I paid for it, Haven't seen a better one on eBay since I've had it.

I swopped the records around with my other jukebox a few years ago, it now only has 50 Motown, Soul and R&B.

P1030332.JPG

This 1976 one I bought a few years earlier, needed a good clean and a service and new graphic, as the original had gone blue. I got the graphic ("Manet's Sunlight effect under the poplars," these jukeboxes were designed for posh bars and hotel lobbies), for a fiver from a jukebox spares supplier in London, it was the last one he had. This too looks immaculate now.

New Graphic.JPG

P1020550.JPG

This one has 80 50/60/70/80s Pop, (no Beatles) Doo-Wop and a few jazz standards.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I love that 1969 model! It really doesn't look almost 50 years old... I'm impressed they still had any spares :D.

Reaction score
I love that 1969 model! It really doesn't look almost 50 years old... I'm impressed they still had any spares :D.
There are some spares available and there's companies that make some reproduction parts.
What is hard to find is any of the trim for fifties jukeboxes, which are chrome plated cast steel. Jukeboxes of the fiftes and sixties cost as much as a small car but were often run for eighteen hours a day week in week out, so the build quality had to be good.

I'd like a visible mechanism machine, but the cost would be to much for me to risk keeping it in the equivalent of a garden shed. My wife wouldn't have one in the house as she says I've too much stuff already. My latest leccy piano with a 76 note keyboard which replaced a 61 note one, only just fits in our front room with all my other stuff.

The owner of Araghi Bianchi, an up-market furniture store in Macclesfield, gets round this problem by having five beautifully restored machines dotted around the showrooms. All on "freeplay," but with the volume turned down, for mostly male customers to play, whilst their wives spend their money on new furniture.

I took these photos when we were buying some furniture there, a few years ago.

A 1958 AMI 2000

P1050602.JPG

A 1959 Rock-Ola Tempo

P1050604.JPG

A 1955 Wurlitzer 1800

Wurlitzer 1955 1800.jpg

Their collective value will be around at least £30,000.

My indoor "jukebox experience," has to be satisfied with my two Rock-Ola Trivue wallboxes, which play mp3s on i-pods through my vintage hi-fi, via an adapter, in our front room.

Putting the money (old 10ps) in the slot, pressing the selectors for thechoice of track and hearing the mechanism chattr (like on old dial-up telephone, it's the same principle) is pure nostalgia.

P1010093.JPG

Plus this over my work station in our box bedroom, just a glorified pair of speakers, so I can play mp3s on my laptop via a small amplifier.

P1060287.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Ask a Question