Joists

Reaction score
Hi,
This could be posted in completely the wrong place.

I've got 2 joists on my landing that are only supported by a large nail ... the previous owners built an extension and didn't secure these joists properly.

One of the joists have dropped by about 20mm ... the nail has bent. because of this the landing floorboards are sloping.

I am going to fit hangers to secure these but do I have to raise the joist so its level first or will securing it at the current height and using timber underneath to raise the floorboards be ok?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to fit hangers to secure these but do I have to raise the joist so its level first or will securing it at the current height and using timber underneath to raise the floorboards be ok?
To fix properly you would want to jack that back into place and then as you mentioned use the appropriate hanger or fasten a ledger to take the weight of the two (I assume staircase risers).

Ask a Question