Interior Wood door for outdoor use?

Reaction score
Hello there, my Boyfriend and I just found a beautiful antique wooden door for a very good price. It's fir covered with oak veneer, with a pincomb window and gorgeous hardware. It would fit well as our outdoor entrance, but was really built as an interior door. I thought of coating it with a marine varnish but I have been warned that an interior door can never be used for a front door. Can anyone tell me if there is any way to treat the door to make it suitable for a front door? Thank you! :)

Reaction score
If it really is an antique door, made before WWII, it will probably use hide or another non-durable glue to atach the veneer to the face of the softwood. This is not suitable for exterior use and there is no way to seal this to make it weatherproof, I'm afraid

Reaction score
I would recommend you not use a door with a veneer for outdoor use. If the veneer is facing the outside it will buckle and pull away due to humidity and temperature changes and attempts to seal it will fail.

Ask a Question