Insulating attic room and kitchen outrigger

Reaction score
I am moving back into a house I renovated a number of years ago with no serious thought given to insulation... not looking forward to draughts and higher heating bills so I'm planning to do a bit of work on the house once I move in. Having read the posts on the forum about similar situations I'd be grateful for help with the following:

Kitchen outrigger
This has two external walls and a lath and plaster sloping roof with level ceiling containing 6 downlighters. We may look to externally insulate the walls as we don't want to disturb the fitted kitchen but what are the options re the ceiling? My mate's brother is roofer so I did think that lifting the tiles and insulating from above could be a reasonable option. Would insulating between the rafters or joists be best and what should we do with the downlighters? In hindsight we should have just ripped the ceiling out and started from scratch and this may still be a possibility. Or should I insulate/board the ceiling from below?

Attic room
This has a sloping ceiling direct to the rafters with a level strip across the back of the room with an innaccessible void above. The adjacent loft space has been fully insulated (floor and wall) so it's just the ceiling space and gable end that need insulating. There's also the issue of two built in cupboards either side of a dormer window that are not insulated. Reading the threads it seems that drylining is my best bet but any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Ask a Question