Insulated my garage door w/ a radiant barrier, I may have made my issue worse

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently bought a house in sunny Arizona. My garage faces west. Anyone who knows AZ or most places not in cold climates is we have no basements. I needed a workshop so I am using roughly 40% of my 3 car garage as a workshop. I did a few web searches and watched a few YouTube University videos and decided to go with a Reflectix radiant barrier. It wasn't until I was at the big box stores that I thought the R value of 3 could be better if I put 1/2" styrofoam with a Reflective barrier facing the door. Then the Reflectix on the very far inside of the door giving the required air barrier between it and the door/styrofoam. In the morning until about 2 it's bearable in the garage after that and into the night it holds so much heat in the garage it's litterally a sauna in there. It also doesn't help I added 10 4' of these lights. And surprisingly they actually get very warm bso any heat in the garage I feel gets trapped because the Reflectix is now keeping that heat in since it's the same in both sides. Other than spraying foam in my rafters above my garage and running some sort of AC/swamp cooler do you think the Reflectix is causing the heat to stay in the garage, should I remove it?

The mobile browser won't let me upload pics but here they are hosted.

Reflectix
1/2" foam with reflective

Ask a Question