Typical wall section of insulated playhouse

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Hi everyone. I am planning to build a small and modest, but at least partially insulated, playhouse for my children in my back garden.

I am making some drawings in CAD to make it easier to produce cutting lists etc, but I am not an expert on building science and I'd like some advice on how to construct the walls. Now, I should make it clear that I am trying to keep this as simple as possible without risking rotting and other problems, so I don't necessarily need this to be absolutely bomb-proof.

I would like to use 2"x3"s for the wall frames and tongue and groove boards for the inner and outer cladding. I will use 75mm wool insulation between the studs. I have looked up a lot of stuff on Google on how wall sections should look and obviosuly most of that information is geared towards houses and other "proper" living spaces; but most show the studs, then sheathing, then some kind of water barrier, then an air gap (created with furring) then the outer cladding. I am wondering if I can have the tongue and groove boards fixed directly to the studs (no furring or sheathing) with some kind of water resistant (but vapour-permeable) layer in-between? On the inside I would have, again, the t&g fixed to the studs with a vapour-resistant barrier in-between? This would result in a very thin wall section but with no air gap for the insulation since it fills the 3" gap available for it.

What do you guys think? Hopefully my description made sense, I can draw a section or two if it helps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are not clear as regards to the design of this play-house. ie: Pitched roof; windows: Door; has it a floor?

But I can respond to some of the queries you raise as follows:

1) Walls
I do not see any need for an air gap when you insulate between the studs as these wall/roof sections etc. are able to breathe.
You could use "Building Paper" between the stud frames and the outer PTG.
Instead of PTG you could use "Insulation Board" for the inside Face, cut to the section sizes and screwed to your frame sections.

May I suggest that you consult your team (the kidies that will use it) and try to accomodate what they are looking for.
Then draw up a formal plan (end elevation - Front elevation - Plan) then from this drawing agree the sizes of the sections required to construct the play-house.
You can also use the drawing to determine assembly etc. (which frames screw to which at the corners etc.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Respectfully, I think your WAY overthinking this. 2x3 for the floor, ensure the floor is supported properly as this is a safety issue.

Walls 1x2 with 1/2" plywood on the outer side only, no insul, no inner wall sheeting. Rafter style roof, 1x1 with 1/2" plywood and poly to keep water tight. Snow load won't collapse 1x1 with plywood.

Remember, the tree grows, and it will disform the house if it's not fastened in a "floating"-like manner, and this can compromise the structure. I would suggest you direct you attentions to the support of the floor as the tree grows, and there are children in the structure.

Otherwise, if you proceed as you originally stated, it will be quit a house, best on the block!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What tree???
1658510017537.gif

No insulation? A radical idea from a Canadian - you must know what real winters are like just as well as a Finn. (Or do you live in Vancouver? :D)

jaskamakkara - try looking for some second-hand SIPS panels?

Ask a Question