Indesit 'ISDP429' Spin Dryer Drum Removal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had one of the little spin dryers for ten years from new and have just repaired the lid catch. That entailed removing the lid when I noticed that the outer drum is rusting internally. I'd therefore like to remove the stainless steel spinning drum which is secured in place with a central bolt and washer, so I can de-rust the outer drum and paint it to extend its life. On removing the bolt, the stainless spinner drum is firmly stuck on the drive shaft. I've tried using a tubular spacer and longer bolt to 'encourage' the drum to come free of the shaft but it won't budge, nor will it if I give the bolt a sharp hammer blow. I don't want to risk damaging the shaft with undue brute force and wonder if I'm going about this the right way. For example, maybe the motor on the underside of the drum needs to be removed and the drum shaft is secured by some means on the underside?

Lots of info on internet about tumble dryer drums removal, but I can't find anything about spin dryers. Hence, I'd be most grateful if anyone on the forum knows the secret of the drum removal. I guess most small spin driers whatever the make are fairly similar in the way the inner drum is fitted to the shaft. Thanks in advance if anyone knows how it's done and can put me in the picture!

David.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All sorted!
I got a chum to hold the inside drum under its lip while lifting the dryer off the floor. With a socket extension bar on the central screw which holds the drum in place on the motor shaft, I gave the the bar a couple of sharp hammer blows which jolted the drum off the tapered shaft. So to that extent, it's a success story but it didn't have a happy ending! Once the stainless steel spinner drum was lifted clear, I could see daylight through the base of the outer drum, which had almost completely rusted through, so it's off to the tip. We'll replace the dryer with another similar small spin dryer. They run at 2,800 RPM (twice the speed of our Siemens washing machine) and will dry a 4kG load.

Reaction score
We've an Indesit tumble dryer it replaced a Hotpoint, which replaced more Hotpoints over the years. We've had it about three years now, it's in use for a few hours each day. Ity's British made and workd well. You get a 10 year guarantee on the parts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for reading the thread and for your comments.

We've got a tumble dryer, (White Knight), but my wife likes a little spin dryer for hand washed small loads. She could, if she wished, put hand washed clothes in the washing machine on spin cycle then into the tumble dryer and do without a spin dryer. But as spin dryers run at twice the speed of washing machines. (2,800 RPM compared to 1,400 RPM), the clothes are virtually dry when they come out of the spinner. However, it's clear that spin dryers are right out of fashion and few are made or sold nowadays. It came down to a choice of a 'Thomas' (German brand) marketed by 'White Knight Direct', (who don't manufacture anything in the UK anymore), for which the likes of e-spares carry no spares, or an Indesit of the same model that we've just scrapped.

I've bought another Indesit, against my better judgement as I know it will have the same poor internal paint finish which will in time cause the outer drum to rust through. At least I have the motor, pump and capacitor from the old one for spares should they be needed. If it lasts ten years as the old one did, I'll be delighted to still be around! Now that I know how to remove the stainless spinner drum , when it's out of warranty I might remove the inner drum so I can paint the outer drum properly internally with Hammerite smooth white paint for rust prtection. If I'd known how shoddy they are inside, I'd have done that with the old one five years ago.

Reaction score
I think the build quality of many appliances is poor nowadays.

in the last two years, we've had a new top of the range Bosch washing machine that had to be replaced after a week an expensive Meile fridge/freezer after six months and we're on our third Kitchenaid four slot toaster, which cost an arm and a leg.
Two months ago i installed the third Triton shower we've had in about eight years.

In my summerhouse at the bottom of our garden I have two vinyl jukeboxes, one is 46 years old the other 51 years old, both are working perfectly. I'm have a Binatone clock radio which is in use every day, which is 35 years old.

Ask a Question