How to remove chalk paint from tiles?

Leo

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi everyone,

How to remove chalk paint from tiles?

I have asked multiple people and have tried the following:

- Paint remover (moderate success, too many tiles - will be too expensive)
- Heat gun (little success)
- Turpentine (No success)
- Spirits of Salt (No success)
- Suger Soap (moderate success - not working great)
- methanol spirit (and then I lit it up - no success)
- Brake fluid (no success)

I'm considering sanding the tiles, but would rather ask. Perhaps someone has some advice.

Please see the pictures, advice will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

Reaction score
Can I suggest that you research "Soda Blasting" ??

It is sand blasting BUT? instead of a very abrasive material, sand or grit, you are firing a softer material out of the Nozzle of the system.

May not be available where you are??? also ??? messy !!! OK if these tiles are external then all should be well as far as mess control goes.

There is also a method using "Dry Ice" never seen it used, upside is all that is left is the residue of the paint + Water.

This method [Soda blasting] can be used on soft brick so it will not damage the tile surfaces,

Ken.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi Ken,

Your input is much appreciated. I'm searching around for soda-blasting. No success yet.

I'm interested in the dry-ice method. I'll do some research.

If all else fails, do you think it will work if I hire an industrial sander and sand the whole place?

Leo

Reaction score
Leo.

Suggest you ask "tool hire" shops for the equipment for soda blasting?? If not there you could try Industrial sand blasters who may have smaller versions for hire??

As for the Dry ice?? that stuff is not nice to handle, special gloves Etc. and storage may be an issue.

Industrial sander ??? will tend to leave marks on the faces of the tiles with the possibility of the marks being even more difficult to get rid of than the paint?

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) Starting in a discreet test area first, hold a utility knife at a 45-degree angle and carefully scrape paint off the tile using a short, firm but gentle stroke. If paint comes up without harming glaze, proceed with confidence. Wet a clean cloth with water and wipe off tiles.

2) If this paint has a thicker layer and spread in much place then kerosene oil would be the best for the removal of paint. It will not damage the tiles and your tiles still remain shiny and protected.

Hope this helps!

Ask a Question