How to Reconnect a 5kw heat strip

Reaction score
Recently purchased a used working heat pump from a professional Hvac friend.

I have successfully installed unit but one of the heat strios has been removed from circuit and I'm not sure where to reconnect it. My thought was to place on circuit side of the 30amp block? The two wires have been cut so not sure.... I have attached a picture of my wiring diagram and appears to be a Armstrong or Lennox PHP1036 system. Very limited info on this unit. System seem to be running fine for last 24 hours but could use a little more Heat and why not use it if it's available. I have a 60-30 amp disconnect and the 60 is handling the other two heat strips. Thanks for any help
IMG_7541.JPG

Reaction score
You have a 30 amp and a 60 amp incoming source . It shows 3 existing heater strips . At 240 VAC , a 5 kw heat strip will pull almost 21 amps . Multiply by 125 % for continuous duty = a little over 26 amps . Looks like you do hot have enough power to run 4 - 5kw heat strips .

If you currently have only 2 connected heat strips , then you should be OK . Which terminals are the 2 heat strips wired to ?

God bless
Wyr

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm currently running only 2 wires ( meaning 2 ,5 kw heat strips ) to my 60 amp breaker so I should be ok to wire the other 5kw to my 30 amp breaker that is currently only pulling to compressor fan power correct?

Thanks

Reaction score
I would wire it to Sequencer #2 - M3 and red L2 .

Or SW #3 - F3 .

God bless
Wyr

Ask a Question