How to reattach pavers to concrete steps

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I had pavers installed on my concrete steps about a year ago. Several of them are coming off the step now. So I need to reattach them to the concrete step. Please be very specific since I’m a complete novice. Here are my questions:

1) What type of adhesive material should I use to adhere the pavers to the concrete steps?
2) What type of material should I use to fill the joints in between the pavers? I have attached pictures. I need it to match the color of the joints of the pavers around it. It’s brownish in color.

Attachments

Reaction score
I'd use ordinary sand and cenent mortar with a plasticiser.
Carefully remove the loose pavers as you're likely to disturb more.
Then clean up the underside of the pavers and the concrete.
Make the mortar mix to "sandcastle consistency" i.e. almost dry, just a bit of water and plasticiser.
Spread the mixture evenly across the concrete and lay the bricks, gently tapping them down. Use a straight edge that will bridge at least three bricks to check in all directions that they are level. Leave it a couple of days without walking on them, then brush in more nearly dry mix between the pavers.

I can't tell from your photos whether the pointing has had added cement dye in it, was made with red sand, or is just dirty. I laid a York stone patio in this way adding some yellow dye powder to the pointing mix to match the stone.

Someone may tell you different but it works for me.

Ask a Question