How to add a coat rail to a cupboard with weak walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hall cupboard in a new house where the internal 'walls' are not brick but stud walls.
See picture attached
I want to install a metal pole coat rail near the top of the cupboard to store coats.
I'm worried that the stud walls will not take the weight for the coat rail

Can anybody suggest how to construct this?

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi asnd welcome.

You need to find where the framework of the partition is located behind the plaster board. The odds of finding a fixing exactly where you want the rail aren't high. You can buy a stud locator, they indicate where there is a nail attaching the plasterboard to the stud. They aren't that expensive and it may come in handy if you've other stuff to hang up.

Then screw the rail to the stud you find. If that would not be in the place you want it. get some timber say 1" X 4" and long enough to be screwed flat on the wall between two vertical studs and fix the rail to that in the position you want it.
Antway, that's what I would do.

Someone may have a better idea.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What Doghouse said.

Also if you can find where the floor joists run above the cupboard you may be able to use a centre bracket like this to add support in the middle.

1636715832184.png

Ask a Question