High electricity consumption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rental house which seems to use a lot of electricity. The last tenant was always complaining about her electricity bills, and as the house is empty at the moment I thought I'd do a test.

Last night I turned everything off and left just 2 appliances running. The first a small storage heater which is rated at just 800 watts, and the second a small dehumidifier (70 watts). The storage heater is on the economy 7 circuit so was only on for 7 hours overnight. By my reckoning that would use 5.6kwh and on the cheap rate would cost less than 56p. At just 70 watts the dehumidifier should cost 1.3p an hour on the standard rate, and less than 1/2 that when on cheap rate.

I checked this morning ar 10.00am and the smart meter was showing £2.48 and 19.43kwh used. At 2.00pm the readings had gone up to £2.53 and 19.62kwh. The day usage seems fine but something seems to be going astray overnight.

Any ideas?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stand Easy, just re-checked and I had left another storage heater on.......... turned off the wrong switch.!!!!!!

Will repeat test tonight but I suspect all will be well.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United States
Glad you got it fixed markie!

Is the wattage consistent with what the meter shows? Also what type of smart meter do you have?

Ask a Question