Help with cistern to run a shower

Reaction score
I have a dry (no well/no pipes/no water) cabin with electricity and a 200 gallon water cistern elevated outside about 10 feet higher than the cabin and shed.

First Issue: What I want to do is connect that cistern (10feet above the ground) to an electric hot water heater supplying water to a shower in an outside shed. I need your expertise and please spell it out for me in lamen's terms. I have read that I'll need a pressure tank, a foot valve (I know nothing about), what kind of hot water heater (I want to get a 50 gallon electric hot water tank, it's only electric if it says electric correct? no gas needed, correct?) and plumbing to the shower in the shed. (This is only in spring, summer, fall- Colorado above freezing weather, winterized in late fall.)

Can it be done? What is the order of plumbing? What do I need to know? or be careful about?

Second Issue:I will also be bringing up water in my truck from my house and I want to pump the water to the cistern to make sure the water in the cistern is always filling the pressure tank/hot water tank. Not sure what size or model (key words) of pump I need for this, can it be run from my boat battery or from the house electricity?

Thank you very much for any info/advice you can give. This cabin means so much to me and my family and I want to make it better for all of us. Drew

Reaction score
This site deals with cisterns and pumps aquascience.net/ you might not need the foot valve if you are running on gravity, but you need to make sure the pump you use has something built in to kill the power if there is no water to pump.Pressure tank is used to maintain water pressure and to keep the pump from running every time you need a glass of water, it will allow x amount of water to be pushed before sending the signal to the pump to start up again.
As far as your second question goes there are manual hand crank and drill powered pumps for getting the water out of you truck most use a regular garden hose.

Ask a Question