Hand planar pulley removal

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these pulleys are press fit? I'm getting a bit nervous about pulling it off since it has 2 non-threaded pot holes in it that I dont know the purpose of.. Almost look like they are there for some gripping tool to be able to screw it off...
Anyone familiar with these things?

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If the holes are un-threaded then as you say the pulley appears to be screwed on and requires a "pin wrench" in order to unscrew it but be very careful because it could possibly be a left hand thread and the shaft will need locking somehow? Check first for a grub screw. Don't cut yourself.

Kind regards, Colin.

Pin wrench.JPG

Reaction score
Hi,

If the holes are un-threaded then as you say the pulley appears to be screwed on and requires a "pin wrench" in order to unscrew it but be very careful because it could possibly be a left hand thread and the shaft will need locking somehow? Check first for a grub screw. Don't cut yourself.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 1093
Ok, thank you very much for the suggestion!
I will try to find such a tool before I try to just pull it off the axle. I can fix the axle by fixing the cutter drum somehow.
Kind regards
Henrik

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You're welcome Henrik and good luck. :)

Why not make your own pin tool; a length of flat steel say 1/8" or even 1/4" thick with holes drilled in to accept pins; the pins could be suitable diameter nails cut to length; such a tool isn't difficult to make and for this one off job it doesn't need to be fancy. I would think it highly unlikely the pulley would be a shrink fit onto the shaft without a key being added; I'm unable to add more because I can only suggest from seeing the picture so I could be wrong?

Before doing anything else though have you browsed the web looking for the manual for your planer; this should give a detailed drawing of all the parts; what make and model is it?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Well.. thank you so much for your ideas! :) I got it lose with a home made thing like you suggested. It worked well with a scrap piece of alu and two m3 screws. It held up enough to get it off. So it was screwed on as you can see in pic..

Kind regards
Henrik

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for the update Henrik and you're most welcome.

It's surprising what you can do with a few bits of metal and a bit of thought. Had it been mine I would as a last resort used a hammer and punch to knock the pulley free but I didn't want to suggest this due to it needing a bit of practice otherwise a lot of damage could be done. I've often used a hammer and cold chisel to remove rusted nuts; it's an old mechanical engineers trick; I'm pleased you've removed the pulley and wish you equal success in the repairs. :)

Out of interest I've just had a look on YouTube and here's a video showing a wheel stud being removed with hammer and chisel; a lot of care is needed not to cause damage to other components and it's a good trick to know when all else fails.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:

Ask a Question