Halogen light fittings

Reaction score
Hi
I came across this thread from 2004 [edit - can't add link] which seemed to describe my problem: halogen lights not working, but new bulbs not sorting it. Only one of four fittings now working.

I just wanted to check that it is the whole transformer I need to replace. The ones in there week to be able to split in two, and it would be easier if I only had to replace the bigger part.

Also, if I replace them, is it just a matter of time before it all happens again? These were put in about 5 years ago.

I've attached a photo of the existing transformer. Ah, no it won't let me. They are all Aurora AU-PD60.
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Barnaby
Difficult to answer without the info you intended to post. But if you are sure the problem is the transformer, and not a fault with the lampholders, or connections, change the complete thing. No doubt that's all that will be available anyway.

Reaction score
Thanks John.
No, I'm not sure it's the transformer, I'm a complete novice, it's just what I picked up from here and elsewhere. 3 of the 4 have now gone, and replacement bulbs don't work (but the new bulbs work in the existing working fitting). I was only asking about replacing part of the transformer as it would be easier for me to fit!

I guess my real concern is working out why it happened in the first place, and wondering if the same thing will happen again once replaced.

Reaction score
the problem is, that although it's quite likely the transformer is at fault, there are other possibilities. If it were mine, I'd be testing to verify first that there is 12 volts at the transformer outlets.
I'm afraid that without that knowledge, we can only guess. Again, without more info, I cannot
advise you to replace only part of the transformer.

Ask a Question