United Kingdom
Hi,

Over the last few days I've sold this petrol mower for £40;

Mower_0002.JPG

This fully restored petrol mower for £100;

Colt restoration_0002.JPG

One of these Trend Airshield helmets for £100;

1598280661207.png

Today I posted a 32" LED Samsung TV plus android & 2 x TP Links all free of charge and within minutes I had to withdraw the advert when 22 replies rapidly appeared these due for collection later today; I was even offered money for them.

All through Gumtree which is totally free of charge regarding fees; I was messed around by five people with the Colt mower but the sixth guy drove from Lincs and was delighted to collect it. I don't mess around and state a fixed but fair price and state the items must be collected from my home address. I've sold big machines up to £1,200 without problems using Gumtree. No eBay fees and no PayPal fees just straight full amount cash. If the guy wanting the TV lets me down collecting I've got another 20 lined up interested so it will definitely go.

I buy lots through both Gumtree and eBay but I never sell through eBay because of the fees involved.

I'm having a long overdue clear out; for the last 33 years I've dragged the petrol mower up the mountain but a few weeks ago bought two Hyundai strimmers; a small strimmer and a big brush cutter/strimmer; hopefully these will be easier to use than the petrol mower; just one mower now left and I'll sell this shortly clearing lots of space in my two garden huts.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My own experience of Gumtree isn't so positive. Maybe it is only in our area, but invariably buyers don't turn up, or demand massive reductions in price when they do. Worst is when they arrive and reject the item because of colour, lack of a feature, despite the information being quite clear in the advert.

Maybe just my experience? I have had more success selling in local groups in Facebook, which normally I only use to remain in contact with distant family.

Colin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your interesting reply Colin. When I post for sale on Gumtree I make it absolutely clear the price I state is fixed so no offers and must be collected from my home address; I too occasionally suffer time wasters; selling the Colt mower proved the most difficult item I've ever sold through Gumtree; five time wasters but on the sixth attempt the guy who did buy it couldn't understand why it was still for sale; he drove all the way from Lincolnshire to collect it. I don't mind a bit of hassle because Gumtree is totally free and on the whole I do well with Gumtree.

Yesterday on Gumtree I posted our 32" unwanted LED TV with Android box and 2 TP Links; we've just bought a new TV so these were no longer needed; I just wanted them out of the way so posted them free to anyone who could collect; WOW I was in a panic and had to delete the advert as my email box rapidly loaded with 22 replies all wanting to collect; two of these even offered £20 each. In fairness I replied to the first email and it was agreed the items would be collected after he finished work between 5pm and 6pm. When the guy collected he even offered me cash which I declined thanking him.

Kind regards, Colin.

TV items_0003.JPG

Our new 40" LED Smart TV doesn't need the android box or TP links so we were pleased to clear the old TV so quickly. I spent quite a while replying to every email thanking them saying sorry items now gone.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I always state fixed price. Maybe there are a lot of 'chancers' in this area? When my aunt passed way, we had a lot of trouble selling or giving away items. One item was a mobility scooter that had cost £2,300 only 18 months previously. I gradually reduced the price over a few weeks until it was free-of-charge, 'to be collected'. An almost instant reply came but only if it was delivered! So, I called the local hospice charity and offered it to them. They arrived same day and took it away in their van. I note that it is still being used in the hospice 5 years later. The person who wanted it free and delivered was told 'sorry, it's gone'.

Colin

Ask a Question