Gravelling area in front of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon!

Firstly, I'm not a DIYer but I'd like to tackle this job myself and save some money. We have an old Victorian terrace with a small front section surrounded by a wall which then leads onto the pavement. Currently this area is covered with old stone slabs and yep, great places for numerous weeds to grow. It's got an Acer planted in the middle. What I would like to do is gravel the whole area (going around the Acer), and then have a few slabs going up to the front door.

This is what I think I need to do first and please correct me if I'm wrong:-

Lay down a permeable membrane for water to go to the soil, and as a weed barrier - what sort do I buy, any particular type of make/thickness?
Gravel - I like white gravel - any prep I need to do before I shovel on the gravel?

Big question is: going out of our house there's a step down and then area continues out onto the pavement. What do I do about stopping the gravel falling off the front raised ground onto the step down - do I get some type of shallow edging tile type thing to lay across the whole of the raised ground and how would this be affixed - cemented on the stone slabs first? I've attached a couple of photos. You can see where the stone slabs stop - this is the issue - and then the next step down.

20230623_134117.jpg
20230623_134120.jpg

Anything else I need to consider for this project?

Thank you!

Ask a Question